What are you willing to do?

Layla's pov.

There is nothing for free in this world and nothing except water that falls with the rain.

Work went well which is no suprise because unlike my assistant, others knew their job and fought to keep it.
The gala is approaching and many celebrities have called in, ordering custom made outfits.

I was told that instead of the red carpet that it would be the green carpet, that would look like the sea and ocean under flashing lights.

My team and I went to see the Venue and took in the atmosphere the week before. So the theme is nature and time, a damn piece of cake.

A famous influencer Foxie Combs called me. We were discussing her date for fittings when the cat dragged in the clumsy assistance, who not only dropped my coffee and lunch but also the designers I told her to print.

It literally took everything in me to pretend like nothing happened and get the fitting dates from our clients. I spoke cheerfully and politely but I was fuming by the time the call ended.

"I-Im so sorry Mam I dropped it, I'll get this cleaned in no time."

Said my assistant boiling my blood.

"You are fired! Stop what you are doing and get out of my sight!"

I shouted at her angrily and pointed to the door. The idiot kneeled on the broken glass cutting herself as she put her hands in a praying pose.

My anger disappeared like it was never there when blood mixed with the spilled coffee. She seemed oblivious so I closed my file and took a first aid kit out my cabinet.

There was a part of me that didn't die after all the betrayal I've experienced.
It kept fight to remain the drop of light in me. I silently helped her up forgetting about our work positions.

Seating her on my custom made Italian black leather couch. Tears were streaming from her eyes, because she knew no one would tolerate her incompetence as long as I have.

I took a twizzer and magnifying glass and pulled out the broken bottle glass from  her knees. I wiped the blood with a tissue soaked in disinfectant spray.

I moved my gloved hand on it watching her facial expression to look for pain. Instead I saw something complete different she looked at me with awe and admiration.

A way you would look at your crush.
Once done I placed a big plaster that covered her knee and wrapped the bandage on her gently. Once done I called a doctor to take a look to check if there ain't tiny glass pieces left on her knees. After doing the same to the other knee my phone rang.

Probably the school notifying me that it's almost after school and almost time to fetch Arrow. I got up to check the miscall and turns out it's from Veronica.

So it wasn't important after all.

"You are still fired. A doctor is coming to take a look at your knee."

I said in a monotone lacking remorse.
It didn't seem to bother her this time for some reason, she seem to be blushing. Looks like she didn't catch a word I said.

"I need this job Mam, I'm sure there is something that I can do to keep it."

Said my assistant looking at me for some reason I found it funny.

"Really now? Tell me. What are you willing to do to keep this job?"

I said sitting on the arm of the chair as I pulled my cigar out my pocket and lit it.

"A-anything! What ever it is I will do it."

Said my assistant looking at me with hopefully eyes.

"Anything? Anything?
How far are you willing to go with...doing Anything?
How about you remove a few layers off your body."