13

Danielle's POV

I pulled into the gas station, putting my vehicle into park. I turned off the ignition, and I exited the car with my keys and wallet in hand. I only planned to get a snack just to satisfy my cravings: animal crackers. I entered the store and looked around to find the aisle where the crackers would be, and I found it. I faced a dilemma when I got over there; did I want iced animal crackers or regular? Both sound really good. After a long serious thought, I decided to get both. As I leaned back up from picking up the crackers, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I was surprised by the sudden touch and jumped out of shock. I turned around to see a friendly face: Michael. He took a sigh of what seemed like relief when he saw my face.

"I was so scared that you weren't you, and you were someone else," Michael blabbed. I laughed.

"What would you have done if it wasn't me?" I asked just out of curiosity.

Michael pursed his lip and shrugged. "I guess I'd play it off like I needed help finding something. Smart, right?" I nodded with a smile to make him feel good. He looked down at what I was holding. "Indecisive?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"Michael, what's taking so long--" Luke was beginning to ask as he walked up behind Michael before he saw me. "Hey, Danielle."

I smiled. "Hey."

"Michael, you were supposed to come in and pay for gas and be right back out. We have to be at Calum's before twelve," Luke complained. "I bet you didn't even pay yet." Michael reached into his pocket and pulled out a crisp bill.

"Go pay," he told Luke as he handed him the money.

"Band rehearsal?" I asked.

"We actually have a small gig today. Crazy, right?" My eyes grew, and my mouth dropped.

"Really? Does Ashton know?" I asked. I was only asking because they could've kept it from him, and I wouldn't want to bring it up. Michael gave me a strange look.

"Why would Ashton not know? He set it up," Michael answered.

Again with, "Really?"

"Michael, lets go!" Luke yelled from the front of the gas station. He had no shame today. I guess his nerves about the show had gotten to him. I saw Michael roll his eyes before he said his goodbyes, and I said good luck and best wishes. I walked up to the checkout counter and set the animal crackers down. The cashier rang up the items.

"Your total is three dollars and seventy-two cents," the cashier told me. "Anything else?" Some lottery tickets actually caught my eye.

"Could I have three of the Money Honey tickets?" I asked pointing over to the lottery ticket holder. The cashier asked for my ID, and I gladly showed him that I was of legal age. He pulled out three tickets.

"Your new total is eighteen dollars and seventy-two cents." I paid and took my items. I had sprung for the five dollar tickets. Nobody really wins anything but another ticket with a dollar ticket. I got out to my car and put my bag in the passenger seat. I debated on scratching off the tickets now or waiting until I got home. But what if I won something? I decided to scratch them off while I was still near the station. I grabbed the first ticket, and I began to scratch. With these tickets, you have to match the winning numbers with the numbers you scratch off. If you get a match, you win the prize. I didn't win anything with the first ticket, so I scratched the second. I won twenty dollars. I scratched the third, hoping to win the maximum prize of ten thousand dollars. Sadly, that's just a dream, but I was happy that I actually made a few dollars, nothing significant. It was a step up to my goal of striking it rich. I exchanged the ticket for the money, and I drove home. I ended up in my bed with my food with the TV on.