Chapter 2- Cookies

I leaned back in my office chair and propped my legs up on the desk, holding the phone between my shoulder and cheek as I filed my nails.

"So, how was it babysitting Josie last night?" Liv asked.

I shrugged, even though she couldn't see me. "It was alright. She's kinda cool I guess."

"Cool? She's thirteen years old and her father treats her like she's nine," She scoffed and I could practically hear her rolling her eyes. "But anyway, what did you do with her?"

"We watched the Keeping Up With The Kardashian's marathon until like 3 in the morning then I put her ass to sleep. It was pretty easy."

"You got to watch TV with her?" Liv asked astonished, "I usually have to help her with homework or projects!"

I snorted. "That's gotta suck. How much do you get paid for that?"

"James usually gives me a hundred dollars."

I leaned up in the chair. "Then how come he gave me two hundred fifty?"

Holy shit, why the hell would he give me more than he gives her? Maybe it was a mistake? Maybe he meant to give me twenty-five...

All sounds on Liv's side stopped. "Homeboy gave you two hundred and fifty dollars just to watch television with Josie?"

"Um, yeah..."

"What the fuck," She said slowly.

"Hey, what's up with him anyway?" I asked, trying to get off the topic. "I mean he calls somebody to watch his daughter and he doesn't even leave?"

"According to Jonathan, he doesn't trust anybody. Other than his daughter, he doesn't talk to anybody else. He completely shuts himself out from the world."

"That's so fucking unhealthy! How can he not talk to anybody except his teenage daughter?" I asked dumbfoundedly.

"How the hell am I supposed to know? I don't talk to the man like that."

Before I could reply, there was a knock on my office room door and Jonathan's assistant stuck her head in.

"Hey Mia, Mr. Stiller wants to talk to you."

I nodded and watched the door close. "Liv, what does your boyfriend want?"

She kissed her teeth. "As if I'm supposed to know. I haven't talked to him since he left home this morning. And he's not my boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes. "He might as well be though with the amount of time y'all spend together. But anyway, let me go talk to him."

"Aye, when you're there, tell him he's out of orange juice and to bring me some pizza on his way home. Thanks, love."

"Adios amiga," I replied before hanging up.

After finishing the touch-ups to my nails, I made my way to Jonathan's office. After knocking on the door, I pushed it open and found him playing some game on his phone.

I literally don't know how this company stays afloat. I kid you not when I say nobody around here does any work whatsoever.

"Hey, boss!" I smiled brightly and plopped myself down in the chair in front of his desk. "I bet you had a good Friday night. Liv gave you the cookie, didn't she?"

He quirked his eyebrow. "What cookie are you talking about? Was Liv supposed to give me some cookies?"

I burst out in laughter. "You get so much ass, but you don't even know what 'cookie' means?"

"Am I supposed to?"

"Has Liv taught you absolutely nothing?"

He shrugged. "She taught me something about hands this one time. I think it was receiving hands? I'm not really sure."

I snorted. "Do you mean catching hands?"

"Isn't that was I just said?"

Bruh...

I shook my head. "Didn't you wanna see me or something?"

"Yes, I did." He leaned back in his chair and looked at me. "So, how was it last night?"

Normally, I would've asked him why he even cared, but he's still my boss, and he's probably already super lenient considering he's dating my best friend.

I shrugged. "It wasn't anything special. I watched television with the little girl and then put her to bed."

"Yeah, but what'd you think of James?"

I raised my eyebrow. "Shouldn't my opinion of the girl matter more than my opinion of her father?"

"Just answer the question, Mia."

"He's kinda weird. Like who hires a babysitter but doesn't even leave?"

Jonathan shrugged. "He's got some serious trust issues. Did you talk to him? What was he like?"

"I only talked to him for like five minutes, but he seemed like one of those strong, alpha-type men but also really chill."

Also known as the perfect man in Mia Murray's eyes.

Out of nowhere, Jonathan burst into laughter. He doubled over, holding his stomach and all.

I stared at him, face expressionless. "Something funny?"

He looked up at me, his face red. "Oh, you were serious?"

"What made you think I was joking? Are you friends with him or something?"

He shook his head. "Liv always told me how shy and quiet he was."

"Either Liv lied to you, or he just doesn't like her."

He scoffed. "And what makes you think he'd like you?"

I gasped. "I am a very likeable person. I've been told many times before that I have a killer personality."

"Those people obviously lied to you."

"You know what? I don't need your sass bossman." I stood up and began to leave. "By the way, Liv wants you to buy her pizza on your way home."

He scoffed. "Tell her I'll only buy her pizza if she gives me my cookie."

──

alright, i know this is super short and boring, but i just wanted to upload something. i've been super stressed lately and haven't had the time to write & i'm so sorry.

next chapter is in Liv's pov :)

originally published: july 2015

edited: december 2020