Chapter 15- Trouble in Paradise

With a huge smile on my face, I pulled open the large door with the words Angeli Benedetti written in fancy letters across it.

As soon as I stepped through the door, I had to blink several times to get my eyes to adjust to the bright, blinding light. Looking around, I noticed about twenty other people sat in chairs along the wall - they all looked around the same age as me or slightly younger.

Looking away, I saw the front desk in the middle of the room and made my way over to it.

"Hello," I greeted the woman behind the desk. "I have an appointment with Amelia Kot."

"Name?" She replied, not even looking up from her computer screen.

"Mia Murray."

"I'll call and tell her you're here. You can have a seat - she'll come to get you when she's ready."

Nodding in reply, I turned around and scanned the room for an empty seat. Spotting one beside a young woman, I made my way over.

"Hi!" The girl said cheerily before my ass even fully hit the chair. "My name's Sarah!"

She had a bright smile plastered on her pale face that met her hazel eyes. Her bleached blonde hair fell down her side in loose waves.

I gave a half-smile. "I can tell you're a very happy person."

She shrugged. "In this line of work, you have to be! Deep down I'm very aggravated, but another thing this job has taught me is to have patience and don't let anything get to you."

"Why are you aggravated?"

"Girl, guess how long I've been here waiting."

"Half an hour?" I guess.

She shook her head.

"Forty-five minutes?"

She shook her head again.

"An hour?"

"Close. Try five and a half hours."

My jaw dropped. "Five hours? Has anybody said anything about what's taking so long?"

She shook her head. "Of course not! Five hours is practically nothing. Last weekend, I drove all the way to Atlanta, waited in the lobby for nine hours only to have them tell me they were looking for a model a specific height and I was an inch too tall."

My eyes bulged out my head. "An inch? Are you fucking kidding me?"

She looked slightly taken aback by my language but continued. "Some of these agencies are so ridiculously strict. I was over the moon when I found out Angeli was looking for models - they're world-renowned and they're known for their diversity."

Glancing around the room, I understood what she meant about them being known for diversity. There were all different types of people here - a person representing every color, shape, and size.

I exhaled in surprise. "Wow, guess I'm at the right place then."

She let out a small laugh. "Good on diversity, bad on time. Hopefully, you won't have to wait as long a-"

"Mia, I'm so glad you made it!" Amelia exclaimed as she walked towards us.

I smiled as I stood up to give her a hug. "I always keep my appointments!"

Ever since Amelia showed up at the house last week and told me that she was my agent, we'd been in constant contact. She wanted to make sure that I was for sure coming in to meet the board.

"I apologize dearly for the long wait. Once I heard that you were here I sprinted to the board room and told them to prepare to be wowed!" She beamed.