Chapter 1

(EDITED)

Dedicated to @bandgeekthetomboy for the beautiful cover she made for me!

After Sarah found the note on the window sill, I was confused. The realization that I have absolutely no idea who could be trying to hurt my family made me feel pointless. I've hurt so many people that it was almost impossible for me to find out who could've been doing this. So Sarah, Sage, Kacy, Jessica, and I had to relocate farther away from the pack house. The fact that this person knew where we lived was terrifying, it would've been too simple for this person to just break the window and grab Sarah while she was sleeping. And that makes me feel pathetic.

Kacy and Sage still hate me and for a good reason. If my father didn't take his own life and instead someone took him, I would hate that person too. In all honesty, if I was strong enough, I would've killed that person.

Because of my antics, Sarah lost her father figure. He's dead, with no way to console her. True, he has betrayed me. He could have seriously hurt someone in my pack and that is unforgivable. Banishment would have given him a chance to do it again, and living in one of my cells would have eventually killed him. But, I could have easily thrown him in jail, I'm a big piece of the government, it would've been simple. He would've been punished for what was done to him, and Sarah wouldn't have been missing a father.

Because of me, Sarah's mother is in incredible amounts of pain. I hear her crying every night and Sarah is always trying to console her. What I've done to her is excruciatingly painful, there is nothing that I can do or say to make her feel any better. I can't imagine what it must've been like for her, she had to watch her mate being tortured, and then she watched him die. She couldn't do anything about it, and I was the one with my hands around his neck. I've failed all of my mate's family.

Jessica is officially one of the strongest people I know, I'm surprised that she can still stand on her own two feet and look me in my eyes every time I pass her in the hallways. Looking at the murderer of her mate in his eyes is so courageous and it just reminds me of how terrible I am. Every night I have nightmares of when it happened, and they started when Sarah first told me she loved me, three months ago. Ever since then, I've been trying my hardest to find out who was so hell-bent on destroying me, but I've had no luck. And of course, I didn't, I never know where I should start.

I'm in the library, I made for Sarah, on a computer, looking up all the descendants of my foster father and checking their backgrounds. I've looked everywhere else for a damn clue and I couldn't find anything, and now I've stooped this low.

"What are you doing in the library?" Sarah asks me curiously, and despite all my worries, I smile. Continuing to type furiously on the computer, and becoming infuriated with everything when nothing that I see is helping me.

"Trying to figure out who the hell is trying to hurt you," I say through clenched teeth. My first begins to ball up on its own accord. Sarah places her hands on my fist and holds my hand tightly. She leads me away from the computer and sits me on a yellow bean bag chair in the corner of the library.