Chapter 6

(EDITED)Sarah's head is pressed against my chest and her legs are wrapped around mine when Mrs

(EDITED)
Sarah's head is pressed against my chest and her legs are wrapped around mine when Mrs. Sanders walks into the living room.

I sigh as she looks at us and scoffs, I don't take my eyes off her as she disappears into the archway that leads to the kitchen. I try to forget that I am the reason she has been feeling so depressed, but no matter what I do, I can't. Wherever I go, if I think about Sarah, I begin to think about how I ruined her mother. If I talk to Sarah, I think about how Mrs. Sanders can't talk to her mate anymore, and it's all my fault. Untangling myself from Sarah, I kiss her forehead and follow Mrs. Sanders into the kitchen.

Mrs. Sanders sighs in annoyance, and looks up at me, eyes so familiar to my mate's, and my body freezes in guilt. She walks to the fridge and opens it, searching it for something to eat or cook, I'm not sure yet.

"You murdered my mate. I would rather speak to a cactus, than you." She says, glancing away from the fridge to me, her sad eyes glaring at me.

"Oh, okay," I say, my eyes widen just a little bit and I wince a bit. She focuses her attention back on searching through the fridge. There is an awkward silence between us for a while, she probably wants me to leave and I can't. I need to tell her. But with her back turned and her sad eyes, it becomes harder to tell her what I want.

"I know that nothing that I say will change how you feel about me. I wouldn't even have tried to communicate with you if I never met Sarah, but she changed me. She made me realize that I can't let my anger or my hurt control my actions and that I should let some things go. I shouldn't have killed him. But he also needed to be punished, if he left our pack house he would've tried to betray me again. If I put him in a hail cell, you might still be able to see him, but a pitiful version of him. I'm sorry, but you are better off without him anyway. He was a traitor, he betrayed you. I do not doubt in my mind that, Sarah, got her personality from you. Anyone that is like, Sarah, doesn't deserve a man like him. That's all I'm going to say, I don't expect you to forgive me, and I don't want you to. I just want you to know I feel remorse and I regret what I did."

Mrs. Sanders grabs a carrot and puts it on a cutting board. She opens a couple of drawers until she finds a potato peeler and a knife. I watch her for a couple of seconds, my hands scratching my scalp, and then back out of the room. Trying to give the woman some very well-deserved privacy.

I head back over to the living room and cuddle into the couch with Sarah. Hoping that she can make me feel better again. I caress her soft and wild hair and relax. With a final yawn, my eyelids grow heavy, and I fall asleep.

Laughter, Sarah's beautiful and melodic laughter, wakes me up. I keep my eyes closed and listen to the sound of her bell-like laughter. Another voice, similar to Sarah's but a bit raspier, follows.

"Where's your sister?"

"She's on a date with her mate, Kacy."

"A girl?" Mrs. Sanders asks with a gasp, her voice sounding concerned and a bit skeptical.

"Yes."

"Well, if she loves her then that's okay, I'm just glad that my baby girl found her mate."

I blink my eyes open and watch Sarah and her mom bond. I watch them and observe all of their similarities. When Mrs. Sanders speaks she folds her hands together and places her chin on top of her folded hands. Sarah does the same thing. Sarah taps her feet when she begins to get uncomfortable with a subject. Mrs. Sanders does the same thing. They are carbon copies of one another, and I hate it.

In my head, I become the orphaned boy whose father didn't care enough about his son to live. I become the boy who caused people I considered friends to spend their lives on Earth as something other than human. I become the boy who his foster father despised enough to deceive a woman who he wanted love from to curse him forever.

"Yeah, we're both very lucky," Sarah says with an adoring sigh.

"You are mated to a murderer, you are not lucky."

My eyes start to sting, on their own accord, and I jump up off the couch. Dashing out of the living room, I run up the wooden stairs and head to the restroom. Remaining calm, shouldn't be so hard for a person.

It's been terrible, and I've been stressed all of my life. Everything between family problems, pack work, pack issues, vengeful packs, pack wars, crazy she-wolves, delusional she-wolves, and mental health, has plagued my mind for years. I've finally broken down. It isn't like what I said wasn't true, because it is. Sarah isn't lucky to have me, I'm a murderer, and she's the sweetest and most lovable person in the world. I don't deserve her. At all.

They were having a decent conversation together, probably catching up on all that they missed while they were away from each other, because of me, and I didn't want to intrude. A single tear runs down my face as I look at the glass walls of the shower, I strip down and prepare myself for the calming feeling of hit jets of water pouring on my head. I step inside and turn the water on, and when the hot water massages my scalp, I sigh. My body begins to un-tense and relax and I smile. The only terrible thing that the steaming water can't get rid of, is my past.

 The only terrible thing that the steaming water can't get rid of, is my past