Chapter 12

(EDITED)

(EDITED)

When we get back to our house, it's dark outside. I'm exhausted and I need my rest. Adonis looks at me and smiles, putting his arms underneath my legs and hauling me up, taking me by surprise. I squeal and giggle as he takes me up the stairs and into our room. He's carrying me like I'm a princess or bride. I'm smiling from ear to ear, and even though I'm tired I can still gather enough energy to feel butterflies fluttering around my stomach, the electrifying sparks from the mate bond.

Adonis' shoulders are broad enough for my head to fit perfectly, and as he lies me down on the bed, he holds my head by his neck and spoons me. I've never been so comfortable in my life and with him lying beside me, I let myself relax. My eyelids begin to feel heavy and I'm about to fall asleep when I feel a light kiss on my cheek. I smile, drifting into...

I step into an attic, the wooden hardwood floor creaking against my feet. Every step that I take inside the attic makes my heart beat faster in panic. Adonis is nowhere to be found and the only thing in the attic, that I can see,  is boxes.

"Adonis, where are you love?" I question, mumbling to myself.

The walls are concrete and the ceiling is a bit low. There's a slight draft in the attic and goosebumps are beginning to rise on my skin.

The smell of blood and pee assaults my nose, like a punch; I gag and cough but nothing ever comes out but spit. A man appears at the attic door, and he's grinning deviously at me. The whites of his eyes are bloodshot and his iris' are a reddish purple. Everything about him screams danger and it makes my head pound. My wolf started growling dangerously inside my head.

"So this is what the mate of the man who abandoned me looks like," His voice is raspy and deep, yet, it is ugly and beautiful at the same time. His blonde hair has red highlights in them, and it looks soft to the touch. His mischievous laugh echoes through the ugly attic walls, making the darkness in the room, just a bit brighter.

He might've been vicious looking, but I can tell him that he's in pain. Everything about him reminds me of pain and torture. No one who acts this way hasn't gone through a lot in life.

"You're the witch that my mate loved dearly, correct?"

He smiles at me wickedly, flashing me a dangerously gorgeous smile. I don't understand a thing about this man but he looks very familiar.

"Ah, so he spoke of me, eh?"

He laughs so hard he falls on the floor. His lean body looks so fragile, so weak. He's just a lost soul, who doesn't know the right way to express his sadness or his anger. He hasn't had someone in his life to teach him. He's taking everything that happened to him and blaming it on Adonis leaving no room for argument. Now Adonis may have been in the wrong about leaving him, but, what he's doing isn't any better.

Finally concluding that Julian is using a dream opener, I sigh. He's allowed himself access to my dreams, as a final way to get Adonis's attention, without war. If this doesn't work then this angry man will use murder to get what he wants. I feel for him, I do, which is why I'm going to try to convince him to do the right thing.

"Julian, what happened to you? You've been through so much."

I reach my hand out and place it on his cheek. He scowls at me and then grunts angrily. Julian disappears from my sight. I look around the room and try to find him and when I do, I start coughing, violently. Blood starts to come out of my mouth and I start convulsing. So much pain flows through my body, like an angry waterfall. My stomach burns and my head explodes.

Every organ in my body is on fire, I can't control my jerking body as it falls onto the floor while I foam at the mouth. I'm moaning and writhing in agony.

"Adonis!"  I shout with the last of my energy, and as I look up I realize I'm no longer in the attic. I'm in a very familiar-looking forest, writhing in agony. The sky is pitch black and the moon is full, she watches my pain. Every scream and cry, she listens to; every tear I shed, she watches. As I look at the lake beside me, my eyes are glowing purple.

My bones snap and I shift into a beast I've never seen before in my entire life. My wolf is blonde, not black and my eyes are crystal blue, like the sea, not purple.

The pain wouldn't stop but, as a wolf, I could try and walk through it. I whimper in pain, with every step that I take; and I howl at the moon, with every fiery burn in my stomach. Eventually, I find a cave to hide in and I rest in the wet, cold area. Whining, whimpering, and howling at the pain in my head and stomach. The pain spreads to my legs, my stomach, and other parts of my furry body.

Growls sound from outside of the cave and the light patter of paws head towards my direction. There is nowhere to run to and I can't hide. Moving isn't an option, if I move- I die. A paw scratches me across my face and I scream as blood leaks from my eye and the pain starts to fade and numb.

My eye isn't healing, but I could still see, and finally, I stood. 

"Adonis!" I scream, shooting out of bed, and growling as tears stream down my face. The pain isn't just a part of a dream anymore, my bones are snapping and my head feels like it's about to combust.

Tears leak out of my eyes as Adonis tries to help me. He's screaming and calling for a pack doctor while I grow dizzy. Fur starts growing from my hands, but it isn't blonde, the fur is black as night. My cries start turning into whines and my shouts turn into growls and howls.

My body heat and my body is shaking. When the shift is complete all I can feel is pain. I can't control my body; I can't control anything. As I run out of the house and into the woods, I know that I'm going to need to fight harder if I want to survive this war.

 As I run out of the house and into the woods, I know that I'm going to need to fight harder if I want to survive this war