- one

Ah man that burns, I think to myself after lying in the sun for twenty minutes. And flip, as I turn onto my stomach. Half an hour with the sun seeping into my skin and bouncing off. I rarely purposely tan my back, but this is California, the darker the better. Unless you're orange. I quietly laugh to myself, hoping deeply that no one heard me. I pull out my nook and continue reading a script I've had on my list for years.

When I've finished five scenes, I decide to get into the water for a little to cool off. Some guy in the waves -attractive, I'll give him that- offers me a drink, but I reject him as kindly as possible. No hookups. No relationships. Stay out of that. I've never been one to be in relationships very often, when I did like someone and the feelings were mutual, it was surprising and rushed. Every time.

But not this year, or for the next few. I've only been here for a very short time and I barely even know my co workers. Which is fine with me. What's important now is that we get along, and we do. But anything happening between me and them would make work hard to focus on, and distraction is an extreme weakness of mine.

Why am I talking to myself??

I step out of the water and sit down on my chair before pulling out my nook again, just starting the next scene when I notice someone addressing me.

"Are you using this chair ma'am?" He's polite, contrasting the appeal that comes with his lip ring and broad shoulders.

"Oh, no." I need to work on my social skills, I sound so small.

"May I?" I'd never expect manners from a boy with this type of style. Who wears skinny jeans in ninety seven degree weather?

"Go right on ahead." There's the strength in my voice. Thank you dear Lord Jesus for my pharynx functioning properly, Amen.

"Whatcha reading?" He asks. Why does he want to talk to me???

"It's a play, actually, a really good one too."

"Ah, I'm not really into plays butttt I'm pretty sure I'm into you."

That. Did. Not. Just. Happen.

"I'm sorry?" I have no idea if the words truly left his mouth or if I was in a trance.

"I said I'm into you. Is that a problem?"

"Well, um, I don't know, I just don't even know your name and I've never even seen you before..."

"I'm so sorry. My name is Luke," he holds out his hand for me to shake.

I reveal what I thought to myself earlier: "Your manners don't match your style at all."

"Yeah, I did that on purpose, so people would avoid me."

"Ah, now you're coordinated. Do you 'dislike most people' as well, same as everyone with the 'punk rock' attitude?"

"No, I'm just not very good at talking to people."

"You totally just hit on me, though." There's no way.

"You have no idea how much courage that took."

"It didn't seem like a lot."

"As you can see from this façade, I'm really good at hiding things."

"Not something you wanna tell someone you're interested in."

"I didn't mean it like that... I-" I've never seen a boy this hot so nervous.

"I was kidding." I laugh, easing the tension.

"So do you wanna go out some time?"

"Oh, um, sure! Can I see your phone so I can put in my number?  I don't know my work schedule for this week yet, so I may only be available at weird ti-" I ramble while tapping my number into the keypad.

"I literally have nothing to do here, it's okay," he laughs.

"Same, except work."

I hand him his phone just as he gets a text, standing up and placing it back in his
pocket. "Sorry I have to go so soon, my buddy needs me." He turns around quickly.

"Goodbye- wait what did you say your name was?

"Kae. Luke, right?"

"You got it," he winked just before turning on his heel.

Holy guacamole.