- six

"Table for two, please."

We follow the hostess to a tiny booth next to a window. It's lit really well, the sun isn't blinding us but we're glowing, and not just because sparks are flying in the space between us.

"Can I start you off with a drink?"

"I'll have a coke and this babe will have... sweet tea? I'm just taking a shot in the dark."

"Sweet tea is perfect, thank you."

"I'll have those right out for you. My name is Delani, holler for me if you need anything," she smiles and walks off into the kitchen, I'm assuming.

When I see movement out of the corner of my eye, I look over to see Delani talking to another waitress, pointing in our direction and giggling.

"I think Delani is talking about how cute you were just a second ago."

"Really?" He laughs a bit, but stops as soon as he starts.

"What's up, kid?"  I can tell he's tense about something. 

"This is gonna be a bit awkward, and it's kind of a long story, do you mind?"

"Not at all."  I better not cry or I swear I'm gonna-

"Remember this morning how Michael was calling me gay?" He interrupts my violent thoughts, startling me with his bluntness.

"Yeah."  Let him do the talking. He knows where this is going.

"Well, when we were in college- high school for you- he always said that to me. He'd call me gay 'cause I wasn't very good at talking to girls. He hated me, I hated him; we had a mutual understanding. He would always make fun of my hair or call me fat or whatever. So my first year of college sucked for me.

"Somehow we became friends in year 10. It took a while to admit to myself, so at first we just sat in his room and played Fifa, not saying a word. It was weird for me, just sitting there though. I kinda liked being next to him. I started to believe that I was gay. You know how you begin to believe something when you hear it often enough." I nodded, not wanting to speak. "Well, yeah that happened."

"Here's your drinks. Do you still need to time to figure out what you want?"

"Oh, um, yes, we haven't even looked at the menu yet."

"No problem," She smiles again and goes to a different table.

"This is where it gets pretty weird. I started to think about what it would be like to be with... boys. " He says it like it's foreign, like it's being translated from Czechoslovakian. "But, I mean, I knew for sure I liked girls. Girls are cute and hot stuff. Like you." I look up from rudely staring at my menu while he was talking (he didn't seem to mind, though) and gave him a half-grin.  I feel so bad. He continued his story: "I never found boys attractive, though. Like, I knew which boys were hot, cause they would make me a little nervous, and my friends who were girls would always tell me which boys they liked and asked if I could set them up, as if their crush and I were friends.

"You met Calum, right?" I nod again. "Well, I've said before that he was too cool for me to be friends with.  Calum is different. He's really weird, the weirdest of the boys, but I was pretty weird, too. Calum and I got along pretty well. He was the first boy that hadn't called me gay five minutes after meeting me. But he made something happen, like, inside me. It was pretty homosexual, if you ask me."

I sat on the other side of the booth staring at him like it was story time in kindergarten, and the book today was about dragons (Everyone thought dragons were cool in kindergarten). 

"The only person I've told about this is Ashton. He's the nicest. It's cause his dad left him and his mom. I hated hearing that story. He didn't seemed phased by it at all when he told me, but I can't even imagine my dad not being in my life. Anyway, I bawled telling Ashton about what was happening to me. He felt like another big brother to me, and he still does. He swore he wouldn't tell anyone. And then it was never brought up again."

____________________________

a/n
so that's ch. 6!! im feelin cake af today, thanks tumblr gifs.
double update and its longer cause i neglected to update (blame school not me)

xx, z