- three

"Um, ma'am?" I call the waitress over as I see her pass by Luke and my's table.

"How can I help you?" She asks, rather politely, considering its a much earlier hour than I'd like to work at.

"Could I get more of this tea, please?"

"Of course, I'll bring that right out for you."

"Thank you so much."

"Kae, that's like, your fourth cup!"

"I know!," I laugh at myself for being addicted to tea. "That's what happens when you come from a southern state."

"You said you're from Georgia right? Where's the country accent, then?," he imitates, making me laugh and almost die choking on water.

"Oh crap, are you okay?!"

"Yeah. It. Happens. A lot," I get out between coughs.

"Here, have another drink, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah okay."

"You good now?," he chuckles at me.

"Yes," I smile, but not looking at Luke. "I'll be right back, but I promise I'm not ditching you."

"I believe you," he laughs again.

I use the restroom, make sure my makeup is still intact, and wash my hands before returning back to the table. Only one other party has arrived since my trip to the bathroom, so my tea is sitting right in front of my seat, still steaming when I sit back down with my date.

Oh my god I'm on a date.

When I get this epiphany, my heart begins racing and I feel like he can hear my pulse from across the table. I begin to feel heat in every part of my body, and suddenly I'm unable to speak.

"What's going on now? You're freaking out."

"I- I, uh- I..."

"How come all these nerves show up now? We've been here for an hour."

"I don't- I don't know. I've had anxiety for years and it dawned on me that this is, like, a date, and the first one I've been on since the beginning of college and I-" Luke takes my hand in his again on top of our shared surface.

"It will be alright. Everything is perfectly fine. If anything happens I'll be here for you. How about we get you a to-go cup and go back to my place?" He looks at me as if to ask permission. I nod in response. "We'll watch movies and I'll make us some popcorn. Do like kettle corn?"

"It's my favorite."

"Me too. I live with my mates, they might be there, but I have a TV in my room and I can kick them out if they're being annoying."

"Thank you, Luke. I lo- I didn't mean to... I didn't, I'm so sorry."

"Like I said, it's fine."

"Can I get you guys anything else?, she says as she sets down the check.

"Just a to-go cup for her tea."

"Would you like a refill?"

"No, I've had plenty, but thank you," I form a complete sentence, my courage finally restoring.

"See, you're gettin' better by the minute."

"Thank you for coming. Have a nice day," the waitress says as she sets the cup down on the table and returns his card. Luke and I stay seated until she's out of eyesight.

Our hands interlock for the third time as we head back to his car, and again he opens the door for me and waits for me to buckle my seatbelt before closing it. He starts the car and when we're on the road, he places a hand in my knee with the other on the steering wheel.

"I'm glad we started this way."

"With an anxiety attack? Yeah, great beginning."

"No I meant with a real date. Not just dancing at some trashy place with dim lighting."

"The only thing worse than this. Well, maybe I could've left when I went to the powder room."

"Thank you for not doing that by the way."

"Couldn't if tried."