- eleven

"Did you completely miss me telling you the exact reason I even bothered to come in here?!" He doesn't respond, but instead makes it quite obvious that he's examining every one of my features. "Maybe if you weren't blatantly objectifying me, or if you weren't an absolute asshat who obviously doesn't give a damn about who is his best friend is invested in, or also-"  

He cuts me off by grabbing tightly to my hips and moving his lips towards and against my neck. It feels rather pleasing until I remember who he is to me and that I never agreed to this kind of interaction. I begin I push at his shoulders and try to shove his grinding hips away from mine with my feet. "Stop, let go of me," I say through gritted teeth, not wanting to alarm anyone on the other side of the door. 

The door, duh! I pretend to bear my neck to him as I search for the knob with my hand that "needs something to hold onto" while Michael is still pressed to my body. When I find the door handle, I quickly turn it and step backwards as fast as I can. I fall into someone who seemed to be running to see what was going on in there. I guess my disproval was louder than I thought. I quickly look up to see who it is holding me. I am both relieved and concerned that it is Luke's strong arm around me. 

We both look towards the doorway I just escaped from to see Michael stumbling and struggling to get onto feet. His eyes are still darkened, but now they speak volumes of anger rather than desire. I look up to see Luke having trouble finding a solid emotion. 

"Why, dude?" He asks Michael. He sounds so truly upset. 

"Look at her, man, how could you blame me for wanting to tap that?" 

"How could I blame you?! You cannot be serious right now, Mike. I get that you're a hornball and I mean, I guess it's a little tolerable, but it's definitely not when it involves my girl." 

I'm not your property but thank you for acknowledging that I am indeed only for you. 

Kae, shut up he's defending you while you're curled into him like a child. 

"-to know she was yours?"

"You're really gonna play the 'oh i didn't know'  card? You're an ass for thinking that's anywhere near good excuse. Do you not pay attention to me at all? I've told you so many times about Kae and how cute and sweet and everything else she is! I'm just hoping you didn't ruin her a couple minutes ago!"

I finally realize that I can speak when I say that he didn't hurt me at all, just scared me a bit. 

"Don't defend him, baby," he whispers to me, but still so his voice is audible to Michael. "I'm going to leave now before I do something I regret. Take notes, Mike, you could learn some self control." Luke carries me to the kitchen and quietly tells Calum and Ashton that he will explain later, but has to go now. He doesn't put me down on the way back to the car until we reach the passenger seat. He sets me in it as softly as he can manage and then buckles my seat belt for me. He gets in the drivers side, and I slowly fall asleep as he pets my hair with the hand that is not on the steering wheel.

+++

When I wake up, I take a second to remember where I was going when I fell asleep, unable to define where it was until I see the succulents and cacti I have on the desk in front of my bed. 

"Luke." I don't see him anywhere in the room. "Luke," I repeat his name, a little louder this time so he can hear me. 

He walks in after a moment, and makes his way over to the side of my bed. He extends his arm to hold my hand in his. His hands and fingertips are rough, but warm as always. 

"Luke."

"Yes, Kae."

"Do you play guitar?" His callused hands remind of my friend's when she first began to play.

"I do."

"Do you know any Ed Sheeran songs?"

"I do."

"Would you maybe want to play me one?"

"Indeed. Remind me when you feel comfortable going back to my place."

"Actually, I have one. It's in the closet right there," I direct him towards the door to the left of my bed. He finds it rather quickly, and brings it with him right back to where he was sitting. 

"I sure hope you know Tenerife Sea."

"You, my dear, are in luck."

"I don't believe in luck."

"I could've known that without asking. Do you want me to sing as well?"

"I didn't know you could. Maybe not today, though. I just want to fall asleep again." 

"You sleep a lot."

"I like it better than being awake."

"Do you mind me asking why?"

"No. It is because of this girl I knew back home. Well, this place is my home now. Anyway. She meant worlds to me. I loved her with all that I could. And she knew that. She knew that she was becoming my everything. She was so amazing to me that I didn't even realize she could easily do without me. She slept as long as she needed to, never more and never less. I haven't thought about her for a while until now. Sleeping helps me forget. Forget how much I lost when she walked away. Forget that I ever knew her. I used to wish I hadn't. But now it gives me a reason to stay here. Goodnight, Luke." 

He continues to play as I fall back into my favorite place. 

After a while, his fingers stop moving and he kisses my head

After a while, his fingers stop moving and he kisses my head. Soon I feel his strong arms around me. 

"Are you okay?"

I am too tired to answer his question. 

Not really, but I will be. 

_________________________________________

honestly i feel like adding the gif conveys the mood i really wanted to for this because luke gives his all in the entire jbh video and he's doing whatever he can towards the end of this part to make kae feel better and wow i fell in love again tonight