- two

RINGRINGRING

My phone sounds on my night stand. I take it into my hands to check the time and see who's calling me ... at seven in the morning. Seeing as its an unknown number, I slide the screen to answer the call.

"Hello?" I do not want to be awake.

"Hey, it's Luke, I hope you don't mind me calling so early but um... Do you maybe wanna get breakfast in an hour or so? I know this really good cafe and I think you wou-"

I cut him off, sensing his anxiety through the speaker. "Of course, dear. I'll text you my address in a second."

"Oh, um okay, thank you, I guess, um... Uh dress kinda nice-ish, I uh... I like taking pictures of things, so um..."

"Yeah, okay, see you soon," I laugh, happy that his was the voice I woke up to.

+++

There's a knock on my door just as I am about to apply setting spray.

"Hey, come on in, I just have a couple things to do real quick and I'll be right back out."

"Yeah, sure," he says blankly, from being so tired, I assume.

I check my makeup before pushing on the the top of the bottle, permanizing (probably not a real word oops) the various powders and cream on my face. I grab a mint from a the jar on the bathroom shelf and go to greet Luke again.

"You ready?" I ask him as he stands up from my loveseat, pulling me into a quick hug rather hesitantly.

"You can hug me, Luke, its fine," I laugh at his uncertainty.

"Okay," he returns my amusement, holding me a little tighter in his arms. "You smell really good, Kae."

"Thank you," as we pull out of the hug.

"You look really good, too."

"Thanks, and the same for you." He's still wearing skinny jeans, but these aren't ripped at the knees, paired with a white tee, detailed with a small black pocket and black cuffs on the sleeves. I glance down to see the same worn-out black Vans from a few days before. "So where are you taking me?"

"It's a surprise, obviously."

"Whatever, dork. Come on, I'm starving."

"Demanding much?" he jokes, an adorable smile across his face.

"Oh, quiet, you."

It's silent - comfortably - for a few moments before he speaks up again: "Your apartmeant's really nice, I hope you didn't mind me looking around."

"Of course not, I'd do that too," I admit honestly.

"You live alone, right? Your place was kinda small."

"Yeah, but I don't need much space anyway. Less room to dirty up. Other than my co-workers, you're the only person I've met. Well, except for the guy that hit on me at the pool... but I turned him down."

"Really, I'm the only one? But you're...really attractive. I don't mean to be a jerk but-"

"No you're fine, um, thank you, by the way. I kinda just moved here a couple weeks ago, actually, so I haven't really had time to go and meet people. The girls at work have invited me to clubs, but that's not my scene and I'm just now allowed to drink and I don't-"

"Wait, hold on, how old are you?"

"Um, I'm twenty one, why?" How old is he?

"I'm eighteen..." At least he's legal. "Did you go to college?"

"Yeah, I finished this last semester. I took classes during the summers so I could graduate sooner and get out of that deadbeat town."

"Cool! I, uh, I went, but I failed out and gave up."

"Yeah a few of my friends did that, too. It was my dormmate's friend I believe... yeah. You're not the only one."

"You're really nice. Other than my best friends, you're the only one that hasn't called me a failure for that."

"People deserve to be appreciated," I tell him, ending the conversation, seeing as we've pulled into a parking spot.

"We're here," he announces as gets out of the car and walks around to open the passenger door for me, holding out a hand to help me get out. As we stride to the entrance of the small restaurant, he keeps my hand in his own with a tight grip.

I really hope this works out.