Chapter 8: Brand New

We managed to eliminate a majority of the rabid pack outside before getting a hold of their Beta Julio. He was inside the pack house with the wolves that decided against fighting for Maria. Julio never saw eye to eye with Marco's way of running the pack after losing his mind, but being his best friend he stood loyally by Marco's side.

Just because he stood by Marco's side as his Beta, didn't mean that Julio or any of the other wolves had to listen to Maria or follow any of her commands. For some strange reason she had her own little cult of followers, what I deemed to be the 'bitter about love' clan.

A few of Marco's wolves decided since she was Marco's mom they had a duty of sorts to protect her, but those were the unwise wolves. Protecting evil wouldn't get them any brownie points in Marco's pack. It would only sentence them to an early death...as you can all see.

Rico shifted to human form and notified Julio we had Marco and that he was safe now that we've eliminated Maria from the picture. Upon hearing the news that 'ding dong the witch is dead', Julio called off the wolves. It was like a switch was flicked and suddenly the pack ceased their fighting, just like that.

After an extremely long steamy shower to loosen my tense muscles, I managed to fall asleep in Tristan's arms. However that was short-lived as I was disturbed from my peaceful dormancy by the sounds of Marco's agonizing screams of pain which seemed to echo down the hall.

Each wail that escaped his lips managed to cause a spasm in my chest, like a dagger to my heart. My body reacted before my mind registered what was going on as I jumped frantically awake in Tristan's arms.

Tristan was spooning me from behind, having just got in a few hours ago from the epic battle...all of us were filled with exhaustion. His muscular arms coiled around my waist holding me securely against him, as he cooed into the top of my head. "Its alright baby, just let him be."

The simple vibrations of his chest against my back with words of reassurance managed to settle my bundle of nerves as I snuggled into him. "Is he ok, what's going on?" I whispered turning in Tristan's arms to tuck my face into his shoulder.

Tristan's lips caressed my forehead as his warm minty breath washed over my face. "He had to shift back to human form so his bones could reset properly. More than likely he's feeling the effects of his broken arms, legs, and ribs resetting. It'll be over soon, I promise."

Tilting my head upwards to stare into the same smoky eyes I've grown accustomed getting lost in, I needed to be sure Tristan was serious when he meant it'd be over soon. I don't think my heart could take much more of hearing Marco's cries. I really wanted to go and hold Marco's hand to reassure him everything would be fine, but by the way Tristan had his arms locked around me in a vice grip. I'm pretty sure he didn't plan on letting me go any time soon.

"The doctor and Julio are in the room there's nothing you can do for him, but let nature take it's course." Tristan stated with a pointed look, giving me a slight nod to make sure I understood. "He's gonna be fine."

All time froze while we lay there enchanted in one another's presence. Tristan's eyes roamed across my face in a loving manner as a sneaky smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. "There's something you could do for me though." He teased softly, the way his eyes lit up playfully tugged at my heart strings.

"Oh yea? What would that be?" I breathed out in a hoarse whisper, my heart pounding against my chest at a staccato pace. I'm pretty sure you guys would be just as nervous when perfection is staring you straight in the face.

"Promise me you'll stop blaming yourself." His voice was deep and husky sending chills up my spine. He knows me too damn well. "It's not your fault, never was." Was I blaming myself for Marco getting hurt? Deep down inside I knew none of it really had to do with me, but I couldn't help but feel guilty.