Chapter 17: Pleasant Surprise

Leaning with my chin perched in my hands as my elbows rested on the rail of the backyard deck, a feeling of peace washed over me. I watched as Mr. Evans and some of the male elders played a game of dominoes on a makeshift table. Mrs. Evans was proudly discussing her homemade pie recipe with the female elders at the picnic tables.

Everyone else stood around mingling. Some of the guys were playing a game of football and their mates sat on the sidelines in the grass cheering them on. We just finished up our monthly pack meeting and now we were all gathered at the pack house having lunch.

It's been a month since the guys rescued the girls from the rogues. As that thought crossed my mind, Axel ran by chasing after Nicole and a swarm of kids. She began warming up to him a couple days ago after I finally convinced her into believing Axel truly is a great guy. Besides, it's not like she could actually fight the pull of a mate for much longer anyway. They were in the middle of a heated water balloon fight with the kids of the pack.

The three other girls who were rescued from the rogues Ally, Gwen, and Miranda returned back home. Their packs were close on the rogues trail, but somehow our guys got to them first. It made me proud in knowing our guys are one of the toughest bunches of wolves around. Troy returned home with his mate Amy, they make up the cutest couple ever.

I've spent the past month tending to all my Luna duties as well as planning my wedding. I already picked out my wedding gown and courtesy of Anya...the maid of honor and bridesmaid dresses are going to be red, since every other color she tried on didn't go with her skin tone! You'd think she was the one getting married.

Our wedding was going to be held in the backyard of the pack house. It's a perfectly romantic setting, don't you think? Tristan and I decided we wanted to get married soon, so Anya and I are throwing together a speedy ceremony. We're practically already married, it's just the formality of the reception and paperwork that's missing.

"Daydreaming again?" Tristan's husky voice whispered close to my ear causing me to shiver. His arms immediately wrapped around my waist pulling me into his solid chest. Leaning my head back onto his shoulder a smile instantaneously spread across my lips.

"Yea, just thinking how much I can't wait to officially become Mrs. Tristan Evans." I smirked, causing a low appreciative growl to rumble from Tristan's chest. Every single time I mention anything about becoming his wife, he gets so excited. It's rather adorable how possessive he can be.

"ANNALISE!!!" My name was bellowed out the second floor bathroom window. The voice belonging to none other than my best friend. Almost the entire population of wolves froze where they stood as all eyes zoned in on me.
Luke was among those who stood still, he had the football in hand mid-throw getting ready to pass it, but a look of worry washed over his expression. I lifted my hand and waved him off, silently telling him I'd go and deal with whatever problem Anya was experiencing. She's been so moody lately, poor Luke's been so attentive to her needs, but he's also trying to stay out of her way.

Knowing that Anya was probably overreacting for something, I spun around in Tristan's arms and tippy-toed up to brush my lips against his. "Hmm, seems I'm being summoned." Rolling my eyes I gave him a grin. "Be right back."

Approaching the half open bathroom door, I knocked softly before pushing it open and entering. "You summoned master?" I joked with a chuckle cracking myself up, but soon turned serious as I took in Anya's frazzled state.

Anya's hair looked as though she'd been steadily running her fingers through them for the past ten minutes. Her clothes were all wrinkled and her face was flushing a scarlet color. "Geez, what happened? Are you ok?" I asked suddenly worried about my best friend.

Pacing back and forth nervously, Anya mumbled quietly to herself under her breath. I caught bits and pieces of what she was saying. "Can't believe....bad timing...what to do now?" I watched her for another minute hoping she would snap out of it, but she was in her own little bubble.

Grabbing a hold of her shoulders to stop her from pacing, I forced her to look at me. "What's the matter Anya?" My voice came out strong, but my nerves were a mess. I've never seen her this disgruntled...ever. So to see her like this made me worry.

With a look of defeat, Anya's eyes began filling with tears and the corners of her lips began tugging downwards into an unhappy frown. The first tear spilled over starting the waterworks to come at full blast and soon she began sobbing uncontrollably.

"I can't believe this. I'm gonna be a fat maid of honor!" She mumbled through sobs. "What kind of crap timing is this?" Anya uttered throwing her thin arms around my waist as she cried into my shoulder. I stiffened, still unsure of exactly what she was talking about.

Without lifting her head off my shoulder, Anya held up a stick with two visible lines in front of my face. Aww, yay, I'm going to be an auntie. "I'm pregnant." She hiccuped lifting her head she rubbed at her eyes with the back of her hands.

I let out a small chuckle of relief, "Shouldn't this be great news? Don't you want Luke's baby?" I asked a bit confused. They were madly in love with each other the same way Tristan and I are, why wouldn't she be happy about this.

"Of course I'm happy to be having Luke's baby. I would've liked for us to be married first, but what can I do now?" She sighed taking a seat on the edge of the tub. "By the time the wedding comes around I'm going to be fat, they'll have to add more material to my dress!" She whined, no doubt mourning the loss of her girlish figure due to pregnancy.

"How far along are you?" I wondered, remembering Anya's menstrual cycles have always been out of whack so she was never regular. Her eyes shut tight and she cringed as if my question physically caused her pain.

With her shoulders shrugged inwards, Anya answered in the smallest voice possible. "Anywhere from four to five months." If not for my wolf hearing I would not have heard what she said. I inhaled a deep breath, I mean sure I noticed Anya put on a few pounds but I attributed it to us not being as active as we used to.

By the time the wedding comes around she'll be anywhere between six to seven months along! "Things will be ok." I reassured her, rubbing my hand over her back in a soothing manner. "Easy for you to say, you're not gonna balloon up eating for two." She grumbled.

Taking a seat next to her on the edge of the tub, I slung my arm over her shoulder. "As god mother slash auntie of the baby, just think of all the shopping we'll get to do in preparation for this little guy or girl's arrival." I joked trying to get her to smile and it worked like a charm as a smile formed on her lips.

"Figures you'd try and use shopping to cheer me up." Anya laughed giving me a hug. "Thanks, now I have to tell Luke the real reason why I've been so bitchy to him lately." I was absolutely positive that Luke would be jumping for joy that his mate is carrying his pup or pups.

Speaking of the devil I thought as Luke appeared in the bathroom door. I stood up and exited the bathroom to leave them to discuss things amongst themselves. Sub-consciously my hand rested on my own tummy as thoughts of on day carrying Tristan's pups swirled in my mind.

"Everything ok in there?" Tristan asked coming up the steps breaking me out of my thoughts. Nodding my head yes, I wasn't sure if I should be the one to deliver the good news or allow the soon to be parents the pleasure of telling them.

I got my answer soon enough when loud crash sounded, a roll of toilet paper went flying by my head and Anya's shouting voice followed behind Luke as he ran from the bathroom. "I don't care how much you love the Simpsons. We are not naming our son Bartholomew nor am I naming my daughter Lisa or Maggie."

Tristan's eyes lit up with amusement as he man hugged Luke. "I believe a congrats is in order." He laughed as yet another roll of toilet paper came flying out the door. This time she caught Luke in the back of his head.

Anya emerged from the bathroom with fury in her eyes, then she noticed the fact that it wasn't just her and Luke up here. Embarrassment was the next expression that came over her face as she looked down at her feet. Clearing my throat, I reached out and grabbed a hold of Anya's hand. "C'mon let's go have some pie." I offered her an escape.