Chapter 5: Captivity (Picture of Marco)

Lise's POV

Waking up from a horrible nightmare, my head felt so foggy like it weighed a thousand pounds. I tried to stretch my arms up above my head and arched my back on the comfy mattress, but I couldn't lift a muscle. The only thought in my mind was, 'I hope I got so drunk I imagined everything that happened.'

Opening my heavy eyes and taking in the unfamiliar surroundings, I came to the sad realization that the nightmare was indeed reality as everything came rushing back to me. "You're finally awake." Marco's voice came from somewhere to the far right. "I was beginning to worry, thinking we injected you with too much black ice."

My arms and legs felt like they were made of pure steel, weighing me down to the bed. That's probably the reason why I wasn't tied down. I didn't even have the energy to move let alone try to escape by running or attempting to shift to my wolf. I prayed Tristan heard me before our mind link was severed by the black ice.

"You've been asleep for two days Pricesa, I'm sure you're hungry?" Marco's voice began travelling closer as he appeared, coming to a standstill right next to the bed. His clothes and hair looked disheveled appearing as though he was stressed.

Why on earth would he be stressing for? Maybe due to the fact that I'm pretty sure the entire Manzanares pack along with Tristan and the guys were looking for him? Two days...wouldn't they have found me by now? Unless of course, we weren't on Marco's territory?

The entire inside of my mouth felt dry, my tongue was the consistency of sandpaper as I tried to open and close my jaw to produce some saliva. "Wh-why are you doing all this?" I managed to croak out as I glared up at Marco. Sure, he was something nice to look at...but my heart felt nothing but hatred towards him for inflicting so much trouble in my life.

Inhaling deeply, Marco let out a loud sigh, "Your sister...my mate...was my life." Marco responded grabbing a hold of the sides of his head with both his hands. "I can't go on living without her...I tried, but I can't get her out of my mind."

'So what in the hell does any of this have to do with me?' I wanted to shout at him, but something told me it was against my better judgement. Who knows what his mental status is and whether or not this will cause him to lash out at me?

"You're the next best thing. When I saw you I knew I had to have you. The devotion you have for your mate is unlike any I've ever seen. Nothing at all like your sister's...she didn't want me." Marco growled angrily, his face filling with anger and pain.

Gee, I wonder why Mia didn't want you...maybe she was smart enough to realize your screws weren't too tight! There's got to be a reason why she ran from him, a reason why she needed to escape and not be found! I wondered if he knew why?

"Why didn't she want you? You seemed like a great guy." I dared to ask, wanting to try and play it like I was taking his side. Maybe this can get me some information. Note how I used the word seemed...he truly did seem like a great guy before Mia died, didn't he? What happened between then and now is a completely untold story.

"She was already in love with someone else...another wolf." Marco's tone deepened as it filled with hurt. "I was willing to be her friend, until she found room in her heart to love me too. But my mother thought it was a stupid idea and had him killed. I swore to Mia I didn't have anything to do with it, but she didn't believe me. That's why she ran, she thought I was a murderer." His voice drifted off breaking at the end. "I never got the chance to tell her the truth."

Well, this just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it? "Maria's your mom?" I murmured in confusion. How the hell did she crawl her way into the Manzanares Pack...into my Dad's arms? Did he know she's Marco's mom? That evil conniving witch! I swear if she hurts my brothers or my Dad, she's a dead woman!