Maybe He's Not A Stone Cold Killer?

Castiel's POV

I don't know what it is... but just looking at his beautiful green eyes filled with such sadness makes me forget that I'm in prison. It makes me forget that I'm surrounded by criminals, rapists, and killers. And that he might be one of them.

After all, Satan doesn't come to you as a little red man with horns, he comes to you as everything you've ever wanted. All wrapped up in a nice little package. And to be perfectly honest that would describe Dean down to a t.

He's perfect. He's like nothing I've ever seen before. I scoot forward on the stiff mattress I've been provided and think for a moment. This could either be my downfall...

Or it could be something amazing. I remember something my father told me before he died... it's better to regret doing something then spend your whole life wondering what if...?

So I did something I would never regret, I lifted a hand and brushed a tear off of his soft cheek.

Dean looked up at me in such a way that I forgot that he was even an intimidating criminal. He looked so innocent. Like a child just being told his pet had died. The tears flowed constantly over his freckled cheeks.

"I'm sorry" I fear I've made it worse.

"No, no I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Cas I- I never cry in front of people and I just haven't been lovingly touched by another human being in so long I- I- " Dean breathed heavily for a moment. He seemed to recollect himself. In this moment, I could tell that no matter what had happened in the past, this man's intentions were pure.

Dean looked down, wiping the tear tracks from his face. He sniffled, "Listen Cas I'm not trying to tell you what to do or tell you who you can or can't hang out with. I just want to warn you about Adam. He's not good news. Everything that comes out of his mouth is stragically thought out just to pawn you."

I nod my head. I believe him. But I will get Adam's side of the story. For now, I'm worried about the broken man before me.

I stand up slightly and embrace him, "Thank you"

Dean nuzzles slightly into my shoulder and puts a hand on my back rubbing softly, "No problem"

I pull away and look at those beautiful green orbs, "And... If you ever need to talk about anything. Anything at all. You can tell me in confidence."

Dean smiles, "Thanks Cas."

"And again I appreciate you telling me the truth about Adam."

Dean nodded curtly, he seemed to think for a moment. He opened his mouth as if to say something and closed it.

I tilted my head awaiting his next sentence.

He put a soft yet calloused hand on my thigh, I took a sharp intake of breath.

"I'm not saying I haven't done things I regret in the past. Hell, look where those things have ended me up. I never wanted to hurt anybody. And I'm not the best person, by a long shot but I do mean well. I do care. I have feelings."

I put my hand on top of his covering it, "Haven't we all done things we regret? It's human nature. And the fact that you can feel those feelings like guilt prove that you're still human."

Dean scoffed, "Unlike some of the other dudes in here. I mean, it's like all humanity is stripped away from them as soon as they arrive. I get that it's a depressing place and it's not fun at all. But there's no reason to succumb to the evil ways of a cold hearted criminal."

I bite my lip, "Is that why you're afraid to show emotion? You're afraid what the other inmates would think of you?"

Dean swallowed, "I mean yeah... emotion is weakness. And even at the slightest hint of weakness they take it and they tear you down. Weakness is something you don't want to have. Not in here," he licked his lips, " I don't want to lose my ranking. For me of course, but mostly for Sammy. I mean, power in here is all I got."

I nod. I do understand. After all, when I first came here I was scared and I didn't want to seem weak so everyone else could just walk all over me. Dean had been here for such a long time and he still struggled with fear.

My thigh tingles through the thin fabric of the orange jumpsuit. Our hands are still intertwined.
I bite my lip and look up at Dean. My blue eyes meet his green and I'm completely lost in the moment.

He cups my face in his other hand, we just stare at each other for moment and I lean forward subconsciously. He does the same. My eyes slowly flutter shut. It's like a scene from a movie.

And then,

Bang.