What Might've Been

Dean's POV

He was so close I could feel his breath fanning over me like angel wings in flight.
His face cradled in my hand so soft yet rough at the same time because of his dark stubble. I closed my eyes and leaned towards him. I literally had heaven in my hands. These hands that have done so much damage. So close to happiness. So close. A heat bloomed in my chest and it was unlike anything I'd ever felt in my entire life. I almost felt like crying at how right it felt. Our lips touched by a millimeter. And then... I heard it.

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

I jerked away in annoyance. Something always has to get in the way of my happiness. I silently curse God, curse the universe for being so cruel to me. The rattling of my cell brought me away from my almost heaven. The Nirvana that was almost mine had been yanked away from me. Stolen.
And I'd probably never have that opportunity again.

I stood up abruptly. Whoever was responsible for this would pay. I walked over to the door.
I was ready to come face to face with whoever had interrupted us. I was ready to fight anyone.

I was vaguely aware of Cas sitting on the bed behind me. Confused probably. I could feel his stare boring into the back of my skull.

My heart was pounding. And then I looked up and came face to face with the person who was about to get his face bashed in...

Sam!?

I sigh heavily and glare at my brother. I cross my arms and clench my fists, "What do you want Sam?" I say through clenched teeth.

He furrows his eyebrows and purses his lips for a second his eyebrows shoot up. He knows he's pissed me off. Sammy's a smart boy. It doesn't take him too long to piece two and two together.
He looks at Cas in the background and then back at me, silently asking if he'd interrupted something.

I just look at him expectantly. I wish he'd get the hint and just leave. Not that I don't love my brother. I just hate his horrible timing.

He licks his lips and shuffles on his feet, coughing awkwardly he rubs the back of his neck and quietly speaks, "Uh... Dean they wanted me to tell you that we have a visitor."

I raise and eyebrow and relax my tensed muscles a bit, "Bobby?"

Sam smiles, "Yeah. He just can't seem to stay away."

I chuckled, Bobby was the closest thing I had to a father. Always has been. Always will be. My real father was abusive to me and Sammy from a really young age. Not just physically but verbally. Bobby was the reason we got out of there. But there were lasting effects. Something like that just screws you up. Maybe it makes sense that we are where we are.

Bobby had taken care of us. John left town. Bailed. Rumors were spreading that he was in another country. Good. I wanted nothing to do with that man. Ever.
Bobby had begged us not to leave, but we had to. Bobby had gotten into a car accident when a semi hit his truck head on. They didn't think he'd make it. In fact, the doctors were puzzled as to why he hadn't broken most of the bones in his body. Yet there was still complications. The collison was so bad that he has become paralysed and had lost the use of his legs. He was bound to a wheel chair for the rest of his days. He couldn't work anymore. Not like he needed to. Before that he was a mechanic. One of the best in the state. But without his legs, he was unable to do a lot of the things he used to.

I remember finding out about the crash and crying my eyes out. Even though he's never admitted it I know Sam did the same. We were afraid. Bobby was the first person we cared about after mom. And when she passed, it was difficult to feel anything.

Unfortunately, Bobby needed money. We were willing to do anything for the man who gave us back hope. The one who gave us a place to stay, food to eat, and love to feel. So we did just that. Anything that we needed to get money for him.

And how unlucky for us... we got caught. And that's how we ended up here. Sammy and I never hurt anyone. At least no one that didn't deserve it. Bobby himself has always been sort of a pacifist himself other than giving people what they deserve.

I smile at the thought of the rugged old man. I was no longer really upset over the interuption. Bobby was worth it.
Sam pulled a key out of his jumpsuit pocket, he unlocked my cell and opened the door with a screech. I hated these rusty old doors.

I looked back at Cas, he was sitting there looking up patiently, poor thing was still confused, "Hey, um... Cas me and Sam are gonna go for a bit. We have a visitor. Just uh... chill. Okay?"

He nodded and folded his hands in his lap.
My heart longed to hold him. To feel his skin against mine once more. To feel that wonderful feeling I'd felt earlier.
But I had to turn away.

I bit my lip and looked back as Sam closed the cell door separating us, "See ya"

Sam and I walked side by side down the hallway. It was silent for a bit until he looked at me and smiled. I knew where this was going.

"Sooo.... Cas huh?"

I closed my eyes. I could feel my cheeks heating. I looked down and bit the inside of my cheeks to keep myself from smiling, "Shuddup"

Sam chuckled.