We Need To Talk

Dean's POV

After the whole ordeal I walked quickly back to my cell. For some reason, I assumed I would have the cell all to myself tonight. I assumed that Cas was probably staying with Adam... if that was even allowed.

As I retraced my earlier steps I passed the library. I stopped in place just after I passed it. I squeezed my burning eyes shut and told myself to keep going. It wasn't worth it. I didn't want to see them together. It hurt too much to see them together.
I sighed and shook my head. I walked back to the door and peeked inside.

Adam was still in there. Sitting alone. Reading a book.
I clenched my fists and went through the door.

He didn't look up as I walked over to his table. But once I reached it he taunted in a mocking voice, "Winchester. What can I help you with?"

I rolled my eyes. "This is your final warning Adam. Stay away from Cas. If you don't... there will be consequences."

He snorted sarcastically. "Although I'm sure your definition of consequences is unbearable. You haven't got the power you once had over this prison. In case you haven't noticed, a new leader is arising. You Winchesters... are old news."

I snarled at him, "And who will that be? John?"

Adam smirked.

"You son of a bitch. You brought him here didn't you?"

"I pulled a few strings. You will find I'm very persuasive when I need to be. Castiel certainly thinks so."

"Cas wants nothing to do with you Adam!"

"And since when are you familiar with what Castiel wants? Have you asked him? Last time I checked, he told me you kicked him to the curb."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why would he say that? Why would he lie?

"You know that's all you Winchesters seem to do. You take. You just assume things. That's why someone like Castiel would never love you."

"You're wrong. And whether you believe it or not... You will pay for all that you've done. For all the main and suffering you've caused my brother and I."

I stormed out. I was ready to go back to my cell and crash.
I wanted to be alone. I was so tired.

I opened the door to my cell and looked up to find Cas reading a book on his bed instead of the empty cell I was expecting.

I clenched my jaw. He looked up at me as I shut the door.
His eyes held a certain innocence for a moment. But then they darkened with guilt as he realized who I was.

Hopefully because of what he did. I hoped he felt guilty.

He slowly closed his book as I sat down on my bed.

He bit his lip. I could see he clearly wanted to say something. He just didn't know how. That made the both of us.

The tension hung in the air like a thick fog. I stared at the floor for a minute.

My heart felt heavy because of the days events. I was so tired and miserable.

I probably looked like I went to Hell and back.

I certainly felt like it.

"Why would you lie?" I finally asked.

His head snapped up to meet my eyeline.
He opened and closed his mouth.
"Lie?"

"You told Adam I abandoned you. That I basically kicked you out and told you I didn't want you anymore. Why would you lie about that?"

"Dean-"

"Is that what you want? Would you rather be with him?"

"I-"

"Do you not want me Cas? Because if not I need to know." I stood up. I was ready for it all to come pouring out, "I'm tired of playing this game. I can't go on with my life until I know for sure whether you're really in this or not. It's me or Adam. You can't have both.

And I-I-I refuse to be your sometimes. I refuse to be treated like that Cas. But if you really want him then... I'll leave you alone. It'll be like we never met. Would you want that?"

Cas stood up abruptly. "No Dean! That's not what I want. I just-"

I stepped closer, "you just what?"

"You have to understand that I didn't say that to him... he was putting words in my mouth. He was basically assuming everything."

"Then why didn't you tell him different. You're a big boy. You are perfectly capable."

"Well after they took you away I had no way of contacting you and I didnt know what happened to you. I was scared Dean. I'll admit it."

"So you latched onto Adam. Because you were scared."

"And alone."

"Would you rather be with him?"

He stopped for a minute. He shook his head, "No. I don't."

"You're sure?"

"Listen, I don't know what's going on between us. Hell I've never known. But I do know that whenever I'm with you, I feel like I'm finally living my life the way I'm supposed to. It just feels right. I know I may be a lot to handle but-"

I grabbed his face and kissed him roughly.
Our tongues intertwined for a few moments.

I put all the feelings of the past week into that kiss.

I pulled back and looked into his blue eyes, "If you'll have me Cas... I'll make it worth your while."

He grinned and pecked my lips again.