Chapter 1

"I'm hoooome!"

I walked past the counter and into the back room. I was instantly greeted by the furry faces of my friends.

I set down my bag and crouched down, giving each cat a few pets on the head. "Nice to see you all again."

"Oh, hey, Lyra. Welcome back."

I turned my head to see Kyle standing behind me with a smile on his face and a big bag of cat food in his arms.

"You're back just in time to feed the animals. Wanna help?"

I eagerly nodded and stood up. "Yeah!"

He handed me the cat food, allowing me to poor some of it into the bowls. The cats all rushed over, eager to eat.

Kyle watched as I went back over to him, handing him the bag. "You want to feed the dogs too?"

I quickly shook my head and stuck out my tongue in disgust. "Nah uh! I don't like dogs!"

He laughed. "Figures. You've always been a cat person."

I watched him as he headed out and to the other room. I watched the cats happily eat with a smile on my face. Kyle soon came back after feeding the dogs.

"So how was school today, Lyra?"

I looked down at the floor sadly. "It was okay."

"You didn't get picked on or anything, did you?"

I shook my head. "No. We had to write an essay about what our families mean to us."

I glanced over at him to see he had an eyebrow raised. "And what did you write about?"

"The cats."

He sighed and patted my shoulder. "Lyra, I know it's hard for you, being an orphan. But you can't write about the animals here at the shelter. Why didn't you just make something up?"

I wiped my watery eyes before answering. "Because I don't even know what it's like to have a real family and home. If I made something up, the teacher would've figured out that I was lying."

I heard him sigh. "Lyra."

I looked up at the dark haired man. "As far as I'm concerned, you and the cats here are my family. You're the only ones who have ever cared for me at all."

I watched as a sad smile crept across Kyle's lips. "Well, you're always welcome here. I'm sorry I can't do more to help you."

"It's alright. That reminds me, how's Rascal doing?"

His smile quickly faded. He silently gestured me to a separate room. I followed him in and over to the small cage.

Inside was a small black and brown kitten, lying down on the soft bedding. His breathing was weak and he barely moved. I felt my tears coming back.

Kyle quietly told me, "I'm sorry, Lyra. I don't think he's going to make it."

I placed my hand against the cage and stared at the kitten through teary eyes. "Please, Rascal, just hang in there."

I felt Kyle's hand on my arm as he slowly pulled me away. Leaving the room, I wiped my eyes as Kyle led me back to the room of cats.

Kyle looked at me with worry. "You okay, Lyra?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Yeah, I'm just gonna start on my homework."

I quietly sat down next to my book bag, taking out my things and getting to work. Kyle quietly left me.