Chapter 13

As soon as it got dark, Masky and I headed out. Nearing the town, I quickly climbed into a tree, perking my ears up as I looked out at the town.

Masky followed me up the tree. I glanced at him and asked, "Do you hear that?"

He listened for a moment. "Hear what?"

"The sounds of all the cats. The strays who have no home. I can hear their cries."

I jumped down out of the tree with Masky behind me. We headed into the town, making our way onto the roofs. I looked down into the alleys, seeing all the cats watching and following me.

Masky glanced all around at the cats. "Wow, that's a lot of cats."

I smiled back at him. "They're all like family to me, so I want to make sure they go to a good place."

"And where's that?"

"My old home."

I led the cats down the streets toward the shelter. I noticed a couple of stray dogs closing in on a few of the cats. I grabbed Scrumptious from my pocket.

"Scrumptious, take care of those dogs for me, will you?"

I let him go, allowing him to mutate into his larger form and chase down the dogs before coming back to me. I slowly led the cats toward the animal shelter at the far end of town.

Making our way down to the ground, we walked ahead of the cats as the shelter grew closer. Looking back, I saw a couple of kittens struggling to keep up.

I went back and picked them up, bringing them to the front with Masky and me. "It's okay, little ones."

Masky came closer, watching the kittens in my arms. I frowned at him. "Humans can be so cruel and selfish. How could anyone abandon such cuties?"

He pet the kittens. "I don't know. And people think I'm a monster."

I smiled at him. "You're no monster, Masky."

Arriving at the shelter, the lights in the building were off, meaning that the place was closed. I crouched down to all of the cats and put the kittens down.

"Now all of you be good, an old friend is going to take you in until you can find proper homes. Don't be afraid, you will be safe here, I promise. Take care, my friends."

I smiled at all of them as they purred and meowed at me. I stood up, knocking on the door before grabbing Masky's hand and running for cover behind a tree.

I watched as Kyle opened the door, looking at all the cats in surprise. "What the...are all of you strays?"

He looked around before calling them into the building. They obediently went inside with the kittens allowing Kyle to pick them up and carry them in.

After all the cats went inside, I noticed a smile on Kyle's face as he said, "It's almost as if she were here, guiding these cats. I hope you're safe, wherever you are, Lyra."

He shut the door behind him as I smiled to myself. "Did he say Lyra?"

My eyes widened slightly as I looked at Masky. I slowly nodded. "That was my name...before I died."

"Lyra. I like it."

I blushed slightly. "Thanks. Please don't tell the others though. Lyra used to be my name, but not anymore."

Masky lifted his mask slightly, giving me a gentle smile. "Of course. It'll be our little secret."

He pecked my cheek before fixing his mask back. I grinned happily and grabbed his hand. "We can head home now, this is all I really wanted to do."

I noticed Masky looking past me, and turned to see a couple staring at us, wide eyed. I gasped slightly, watching them both turn and run.

"We can't let them get away! They saw us!"

I grinned. "Way ahead of you, Masky."

I began running after them, jumping through trees an crawling across fences. Getting closer, I leapt onto the woman, landing on top of her and slashing her throat with my claws, instantly killing her.

The man continued running, so I grabbed Scrumptious and tossed him at the man.

"Fetch!"

Scrumptious transformed after I tossed him and landed on the man, nearly crushing him. He grabbed the man's broken body between his jaws and brought him over to me.

Masky appeared beside me and slammed a rock against the man's head, making a bloody mess as Scrumptious dropped his now lifeless body.

I cradled the rat's head in my hands. "Good boy, Scrumptious!"

I then climbed onto his back, pulling Masky on behind me. "Onward, Scrumptious, back to the mansion!"

He squeaked and took off, running back toward the woods. "Better hang on, Masky!"

Masky wrapped his arms around me to hold on as we quickly made our way into the woods and back home.

Arriving at the mansion, we climbed off Scrumptious. He turned small again, climbing back into my pocket. Entering the mansion, we saw Slender and Jeff both sitting in the living room.

They looked at us, Jeff waving me over to where he sat. "Hey, Felyra."

I slowly approached him. "Um, yes?"

He glanced at Slender before sighing. "Listen, about earlier...I'm sorry, or whatever."

I smiled slightly. "I'm sorry too. I never meant to start anything. Friends?"

I held my fist out to him. He looked at it for a moment before returning my fist bump. "Friends. You know, you're pretty cool, for a cat. Hell, if I can put up with Ben all day, I can put up with you."

Slender stood up. "Good, everything has worked out. You should all be off to bed now. Goodnight."

Slender vanished before Jeff stood and headed upstairs. Masky grabbed my hand and took me up to his room.

We both got a quick shower before heading to bed. Lying in my little bed, I began to shiver slightly. I noticed Scrumptious curling against me, attempting to stay warm.

I grabbed the mouse and sat up, looking at Masky. I climbed onto Masky's bed and poked him. "Pssst, Masky."

I watched him stir and turn toward me. "What is it, Felyra?"

"We're cold. Can we sleep with you?"

He seemed to stare for a moment before answering. "S-Sure. Hop in."

I climbed into bed beside him curling up against him as he wrapped his arms around me. With my head buried in Masky's chest, Scrumptious slept against my collarbone.

"Night, Masky, Scrumptious."

"Goodnight, Felyra."

I heard a squeak, causing Masky to chuckle. "You too, Scrumptious."

Masky's warmth enveloped me as I drifted into a peaceful slumber.