Chapter 10

I walked along with Masky and Hoodie, occasionally looking up at the dark sky between the treetops. Time for my first kill as a member of the gang.

"Anyone in particular you want to kill?"

I looked over at Masky. "Not really. Let's just go after whoever we find first."

Masky and Hoodie both nodded. We soon got to the end of the woods, seeing the houses and buildings of the town. The first place I took notice of was a nearby house.

I pointed to it. "Let's try that one."

Masky quietly said, "We should split up and find our own routes in."

We nodded and I watched as Masky and Hoodie went around the house. I climbed up a nearby tree and looked through the window.

My eyes widened. Inside, I could see a young girl sleeping in her bed with a white cat curled up beside her. This...this is Snow's house.

These are the people who adopted Snow. This is her...family. I can't take them away from her. I have to stop Masky and Hoodie.

I quickly climbed out of the tree and rushed around the house. I saw Hoodie inside and quickly climbed through a window after him.

He turned toward me and quietly asked, "What are you doing?"

"We can't do this. Wait outside while I find Masky."

He let out a disappointed sigh before climbing back through the window. I quietly rushed upstairs, stopping at an open doorway. I could see Masky inside, with a knife raised over a sleeping woman.

I rushed over as he brought the knife down. I grabbed his arm in my hands, stopping the knife midway. He looked at me as if questioning my actions.

I pulled him by the arm back downstairs and outside with Hoodie. Masky asked, "Wanna explain why you won't let us kill these people?"

"This is Snow's family."

They both glanced at each other in confusion. I gestured them over and had them climb up the tree with me. I pointed inside to the girl and cat.

"Snow lives here."

I heard Hoodie question me. "The girl?"

I shook my head. "The cat. See her sleeping beside her human? This is her home, with the family that adopted her. I can't take that away from her."

I slowly opened the window and went inside. Snow perked her head up and jumped off the bed, coming over to me. I smiled and crouched down to pet her.

I whispered, "Nice to see you again, Snow."

She purred as I pet her. "I can tell you're happy with your family. You have a nice life here."

I picked her up and carried her over to the bed. I glanced at the little girl before setting Snow down next to her.

"Bye, Snow."

I quietly went back to the window where Masky and Hoodie watched. Climbing outside, I closed the window and waved to Snow as she curled up again.

I climbed back down the tree with the two boys. Masky was the first to speak. "So that cat's a friend of yours?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I used to live at an animal shelter, the cats were my only friends and family. Snow was there with me, before she was adopted. I can't take her family away from her, because I know what it's like to not have anyone."

Masky placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry. We didn't know about all that stuff. We'll find someone else to kill."

Hoodie nodded in agreement. I smiled. "Thanks, guys."