Chapter 5

I watched as the two boys walked past the tree I was hiding in. A smirk crept across my lips at the fact that they were oblivious to my presence.

Just what is going on exactly? Am I being hunted? It's starting to seem that way. I'll have to stay one step ahead of them.

I silently leapt from branch to branch. I hid upon seeing the two boys stop. The one in the white mask glanced around.

"Do you get the feeling we're being watched?"

The hooded one nodded slightly. "Yeah."

I stayed perfectly still as they looked around at the trees, slowly getting closer to the one I was in.

My ears twitched upon hearing a bark in the distance. Oh no, not again with that dog. I gulped and stayed where I was.

Soon enough, I heard rustling followed by the dog jumping through some bushes, stopping in front of the two boys.

"Smile? What are you doing here?"

The dog barked again as I saw someone else approaching. It was the guy with the white hoodie again.

"Smile! Quit running off like that!"

The dog whimpered as the pale boy walked over. "Masky, Hoodie, find anything?"

The one in the white mask sighed. "Well, we found out where this creepypasta came from. There's a lab at the edge of the woods, everyone inside was dead."

"There were giant, dead rats along with the people. Jack said that they had the same scar mark on their backs as the bird you guys fought."

My eyes widened. They went there? To the lab? They called me a creepypasta, is that what I am? Am I like them?

I moved a little to get a better view when suddenly, the dog's head whipped around, growling in my direction.

I froze as the others followed the dog's gaze. It grew quiet as no one spoke or moved. Uh oh, what do I do?

Masky's pov

We stood, silently looking around in the trees, trying to hear what Smile heard. I noticed Jeff pull out his knife and gesture toward one of the trees.

We nodded to him as we slowly followed Smile toward it. Smile looked up, barking at whatever was in the tree's branches.

In an instant, there was a blur of color as something leapt from out of the tree and into another. We all gave chase with Smile leading the way.

Geez, this thing is fast. All I can see is the rustling branches this creature is jumping on. Something suddenly dropped from the trees, landing in front of us.

We stopped, seeing a squirrel mutating and growing right before our eyes. I heard Jeff let out an annoyed groan.

"Ugh, not this again! You two go on ahead! Smile and I will take care of this!"

We both nodded and rushed around the monster as Jeff and Smile began fighting it. We could see the rustling in the trees again.

As we ran, I grabbed a rock and threw it up toward the rustling. It stopped as we heard a thunk, signalling that I had hit my target.

We stopped, seeing something fall out of the tree before twisting and landing on its feet. Crouched in front of us, was a girl with pointed ears and a long, thin tail.

My eyes widened under my mask. "It's a g-girl?"

I heard a small gasp from Hoodie. I guess he was as surprised as me. The girl slowly stood, her tail flicking back and forth. Her black bangs had one purple streak in them and completely covered her left eye.

She glared at us, pinning her ears back. She let out a loud hiss, showing her sharp fangs. Hoodie and I both slowly moved toward her, causing her to back away with her claw-like nails up in defense.

We suddenly heard a bark and turned to see Smile and Jeff rushing over. Jeff still had his knife out as Smile snarled at the girl.

"Well, well, well, so it was a little kitty cat causing so much trouble. Be a good kitty and come with us now."

The cat girl hissed again and let out a low growl. She quickly turned and began climbing back up a tree. Smile ran forward, biting into her leg and pulling her back down.

The girl let out a loud, painful sounding meow before falling back down. Hoodie and I rushed forward, each grabbing one of her arms and holding her in place.

She struggled to free herself but Hoodie and I kept a firm grip on her arms. Jeff stepped forward, his unblinking eyes staring down at the girl.

"Come on now, don't make this any harder than it already is."

The girl seemed to look up at Jeff in fear. She suddenly brought her foot up, catching Jeff off guard and kicking him right in the stomach.

He stumbled back and the girl took the chance to kick Hoodie's legs out from under him, causing him to let her go as he fell down.

She flashed me a quick smirk before swiping her claws through my sleeve and into my arm. I ended up letting her go, grabbing my stinging wound.

She kicked Smile away from her and clumsily climbed up a tree and took off across the branches, getting far away from us.

Jeff clenched his fists and grumbled. "That cat's gonna get it now."

I held my bleeding arm and panicked. "Oh no, she scratched me! Am I gonna mutate?!"

The others watched me in silence for a few moments. I blinked a few times. "Huh, that's weird. I'm perfectly fine."

Hoodie said, "Maybe it only works on animals."

Jeff shrugged. "Who cares. Let's get back and tell the others."

We nodded and followed Jeff and Smile back to Slender Mansion. I told Slender and the others about what had happened.

Ben smirked at me. "Oooh, a cat girl, huh? Was she cute?"

Of course Ben would ask that. I didn't know how to answer. Personally, I thought she was adorable, but I wasn't going to tell him that.

He huffed and crossed his arms. "If you don't answer, I'll take that as a yes."

I simply shrugged him off as Jack came over to me. He examined my arm before speaking.

"So she scratched you, but you didn't mutate. Perhaps the mutation effect only works on certain creatures."

I shrugged as he bandaged my arm. "I don't know, but at least now we know what we're up against."

Jack nodded. "I wonder if we could lure her into a trap. Cats have plenty of weaknesses."

Jeff walked by us, grumbling to himself. "Just wait until I get my hands on that cat."

I sighed. "Jeff, you know we're supposed to bring her back alive."

"Yeah, yeah, I got it."

Jack quietly told me, "I don't think we should let Jeff come with us. He's liable to overdue it."

I nodded in agreement. We started planning a way to trap the girl. Jack, Hoodie, and I decided to take care of this ourselves. One feral creepypasta shouldn't be that difficult to catch.