Chapter 2

My eyes slowly opened to a bright light. "She's waking up."

"Can we start yet?"

"Not yet, we need to see if this one is capable."

As my eyes adjusted, I looked around at my surroundings. There were strange people in lab coats standing around me, staring down at me.

Realizing I was strapped down to a table, I struggled to free myself. "Who are you people?! Where am I?! What's going on?!"

A woman leaned down, looking at me. "Shhh, quiet down."

She flashed a light into my eyes,watching me closely. When she turned the light off, a man stuck a needle into my arm, taking some blood.

I looked around as they did little tests on me. I could see tanks and cages all over the room, filled with humans and animals alike.

The weird thing was that most of the creatures looked mutated, some having extra limbs or limbs that shouldn't be there at all.

I noticed that almost every creature seemed to be lifeless. That's when I saw what looked like the boy who was recently kidnapped.

His body floated in a tank of water. He seemed to have thick scales covering his body along with a tail behind him.

What have these people done? They're using people and animals as test subjects for some wacky experiments.

I began struggling again. The strangers began tightening my restraints, stopping my movements.

"Let me go! I don't want to be a lab rat!"

One of the men smirked. "I wouldn't say lab rat. More like lab cat."

They quickly moved the table I was strapped to toward a tank. I was injected with another needle, allowing a strange substance to enter my body.

My movements were stilled as I felt my body go numb. Unable to move, they undid my restraints and placed me in the tank.

I watched through half lidded eyes as the tank was filled with a strange water. With a mask over my mouth, I was able to breath as I gazed through the glass.

I could still hear the strangers speaking. "Subject Lyra stable. Ready to begin."

I watched as the people began pushing buttons and turning knobs. Small needles and tubes were injected into my skin throughout my body.

One final button was pushed and I suddenly felt a jolt throughout my body. It kinda felt as if I was being electrocuted.

"Aaaahhhhh!"

The intensity of the shock seemed to grow as I screamed and twitched at the pain. It seems like hours pass by as the pain gets worse and worse.

I felt as if parts of my body were completely changing. I screamed, feeling my body convulse.

"Vitals unstable! The subject's body can't withstand the change! We need to stop!"

"No! Keep going! She must endure it!"

I felt my body growing weaker and weaker as this continued.

"Sir, vitals are going haywire! She's not going to make it!"

"It doesn't matter! Keep going!"

Everything seemed to be fading as the pain started subsiding.

"We're losing her!"

.....

.....

.....

Darkness. All I can see is darkness. All I can feel is pain. What happened to me?