Chapter 1

"Hurry up, Aria. We're going to be late."

I looked back at my sister in the doorway. "I'm coming."

I pulled my blonde hair up into a ponytail, checking myself in the mirror before leaving the bathroom. I went downstairs to see my mom and big sister in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Aria. Want some scrambled eggs and bacon?"

My mom smiled at me. I nodded and returned her smile. "Yes please."

"Hey, Aria, don't forget your flute. We have band practice today."

I nodded. "I know, it's already in my bag."

She smiled at me as my mom brought me my breakfast. I ate and soon headed out with my sister. We waved to our mom as we walked down the street.

"Hey, Allison?"

"Yeah?"

"Could I, maybe, eat lunch with you today?"

She looked at me questioningly. "Why? Did something happen?"

I looked down at the ground. "Um, well..."

She sighed. "Is it Jason again?"

I simply nodded. "Aria, you've got to stand up for yourself. Don't let people like Jason and his gang push you around."

"I'm sorry. I'm not very good at stuff like this."

I felt Allison pat my shoulder and looked up to meet her blue eyes. "Don't worry, just stay with me and I'll make sure no one bothers you."

I smiled. "Thanks, Allison."

I hated being so shy and quiet all the time. I often had to rely on Allison for things like this. I'm just not very good with people.

Arriving at school, I tagged along with my big sister to our lockers. We got our things, and sadly parted ways to our classes. I quietly walked down the hall, clutching my books against my chest.

As I gingerly passed by other students, my shoulder bumped into another girl. We both dropped our books on the floor. The girl glared at me before picking up her things.

"Hey, why don't you watch where you're going?!"

I quickly grabbed my books off the floor and looked at her apologetically. "I'm so sorry."

"So you think a simple little apology makes everything all better?"

My voice became a whisper as I tried to reply. "U-Um, I..."

The girl turned her nose up and walked past me. I noticed other people had stopped and were watching. Most of them were stifling a few giggles as they whispered to each other.

I fought back the tears in my eyes and quickly continued walking. Finally getting to class, I sat toward the back of the room away from people.

I quietly did my work, and as soon as the bell rang, I left for my next class. The day went on like this until it was time for lunch.

I stopped by my locker to put my things away. As soon as I closed my locker and turned around, there was Jason. He smirked at me and slammed his hands on either side of my head, causing me to flinch.

"Look who we have here, boys. Sweet little Aria is all alone at her locker."

The other boys snickered while I remained quiet. "What's the matter, sweetie? Speechless?"

"Jason! Get away from her!"

We all turned to see my sister and her friends coming down the hall. Allison shoved Jason away and hugged me.

"I suggest you leave my sister alone unless you want me to report you to the principal."

"Tch, snitch. C'mon, boys, we've got better things to do anyway."

They left down the hall as Allison let go of me and looked at me with worry. "You okay, Aria? Did they hurt you?"

I shook my head and gave a small smile. "No, I'm okay. Thank you."

"Ugh, what I wouldn't give to punch that guy in the face."

I looked over at Matt who gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. Allison sighed. "Let's just go to lunch."

We went to the lunchroom and got our food. I sat with Allison and her friends from band class. These were the only people I ever talked to at all. Unfortunately, the only class I have with them is band.

As we ate our lunch, I heard Matt in front of me sigh. "I just wish we had more classes together so we could help you out more, Aria."

I smiled at him. "Thanks, Matt. You guys are always looking out for me."

Samantha jumped out of her seat. "Of course, we'd beat up anyone who messes with you, no problem."

Allison nodded and smiled at me. "Don't you worry, little sister. We've got your back."

I smiled and we all continued eating. After lunch, we had band class. We had a substitute today who simply told us to practice like we normally do.

I had my flute, Allison had her violin, Samantha had a xylophone, and Matt played piano. After everyone practiced as a class, we started chatting and practicing on our own.

As soon as the bell rang, I left the class with Allison. School was now over, so we headed outside. That's when I stopped and realized something.

"Wait, Alison. I forgot my flute back in the room. You go on ahead, I'll catch up."

She nodded and continued walking. I quickly went back to the classroom, but couldn't seem to find my flute anywhere.

"Looking for something?"

I turned to see Jason and his buddies in the doorway with my flute in hand. I slowly walked toward them as Jason spoke.

"You want your flute back?"

I nodded. "Y-Yes, please."

"Well then you've got to earn it. Come with us."

I quietly followed Jason as he led me to the lunchroom. He went to the kitchen area and stood in front of a large freezer. He opened it up and looked to me.

"Now we could've sworn we heard an animal in there. Would you be a doll and check it out?"

He smirked at me as I rubbed my arm. "I-I don't know. It could be dangerous."

He came over and handed me my flute before pulling me over by the arm and shoving me in the freezer. "Have fun in there."

The door closed behind me and I was cast into darkness. I rushed back to the door and tried opening it, but it was locked. I knocked on the door a bit.

"Jason, this isn't funny. Open the door, please."

No reply. I started to panic. "Jason! Please let me out!"

Still no answer. I rubbed my arms and looked around. They lied, there were no animals in here. I felt tears run down my cheeks.

What do I do? I'm trapped. I sat down and huddled up against the wall. I started shivering at the cold temperature. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it felt like the temperature was actually dropping.

My teeth chattered and my skin grew pale as I waited for what seemed like hours. My tears were now frozen on my face and my whole body had gone numb.

I can't take this anymore. It feels like my skin is icing over. The cold, dark room seemed like it was closing in on me.

I felt the darkness taking over as I collapsed on the floor. My eyes seemed to close on their own and I quickly found myself falling into an unconscious state.