Chapter 14

Smile and I headed out into the woods. I pushed past the pain in my leg to keep up with Smile as he tracked Jeff's scent.

I rushed after Smile until we came to a clearing. That's where I saw Jeff. He was lying in a large, metal cage, covered in bloody cuts and what looked like bullet wounds.

Smile barked and rushed toward him, only to be caught in a net trap. Jeff struggled to even move as Smile whimpered and tried to wiggle free.

That's when I heard sudden laughter, followed by a group of hunters stepping into the clearing, dressed in the same camouflage outfits as the ones I froze before.

"I knew we could use that guy as bait! And look! Now we've got this mutt too!"

Smile growled at them as they laughed and watched in amusement. I frowned and stepped forward, causing their laughter to cease as their eyes landed on me.

"I suggest you let them go, unless you'd like to join your friends in a frozen tomb."

One of them rose an eyebrow. "YOU'RE the ice maker?"

I nodded. "Yes, and I can't be held responsible for what may happen to you if you don't release them."

The guy laughed. "I'll take my chances. It's about time we bring you in."

I watched them as they pointed guns and knives toward me, and for the first time, I saw Jeff looking at me with something other than anger in his eyes.

What was it? Surprise? Confusion? I couldn't quite place it. I dismissed it and focused on the hunters around me.

Before they had a chance to attack, I created spikes of ice all around me. Each hunter was stabbed at least once by the large chunks of ice.

Weapons clattered to the ground as gurgling screams filled the air momentarily before falling into silence. Once every hunter was dead, I retracted the ice spikes, letting them melt away.

I quickly went over and untied Smile before snatching up the key to Jeff's cage from one of the corpses. I opened the cage door and crouched next to Jeff with Smile by my side.

"Jeff, are you okay? Can you walk?"

He forced himself to sit up. "I...I'm fine...let's get...outta here."

Smile and I both helped him to stand up and began slowly making our way back toward the mansion. I began panting as I tried to hold up Jeff's weight.

We soon stopped with Smile growling as we heard rustling. I expected to see more hunters, but was surprised, and relieved, to see Jack and Ben.

I let out a tired sigh. "Am I glad to see you guys. Jeff needs help."

Jack and Ben rushed over and took Jeff from us. "Dude, you look terrible."

Jeff rose his head slightly. "Shut up...Ben!"

Jack seemed to shake his head at the two. "Let's get him back to the mansion so I can patch him up."

We made our way back home only to see Masky sitting on the porch, blood pouring out of a few wounds on his stomach and leg.

Ben looked down at him questioningly. "Masky? What happened to you?"

He was panting slightly, as if he'd just outrun something. "Ambushed by those hunters. There were so many."

I looked around, not seeing who I was looking for. "W-Where's Hoodie."

Masky sighed."I don't know. We got separated in all the chaos. I hope he's alright."

I almost instantly took off into the woods, leaving the others in the distance. Please be okay, Hoodie. I ran, hoping to see the hooded boy without a scratch.

I suddenly felt a hand on my arm and was pulled behind a tree. I was immediately met by a pair of red eyes. I smiled.

"Hoodie, you're okay."

He quickly placed a finger over my lips, silencing me. "Shh, what are you doing here? You shouldn't be out here, you're still injured."

His whispers gave me the impression that we weren't alone out here. I kept my voice low after he took his finger off my lips.

"I found Jeff and everyone else is back at the mansion."

"Really? What a relief. Now we just gotta get out of here."

I flinched upon hearing a gunshot, followed by a bullet grazing the edge of the tree. Hoodie took my hand and began running.

I could hear multiple gunshots behind us, each one luckily missing its target. I soon felt myself trip over a rock, causing me to fall down while losing my grip on Hoodie's hand.

Hoodie quickly stopped and tried getting me up, but we were already surrounded. We froze, watching the guns being focused on us.

Two figures stepped forward, the male speaking. "Looks like we finally got you, you monster."

My eyes widened at the two people. I slowly picked myself up. "...Matt?...Samantha?...Is that really you?"

They both squinted at me in confusion before gasping. They came closer, lowering their weapons. "A-Aria? You're...alive?"

They both dropped their weapons and suddenly hugged me. Samantha squealed in excitement.

"I don't believe it! You're really here!"

I noticed the other hunters lowering their guns. Matt's joyful expression suddenly turned to one of surprise.

"Then does this mean...? You're the reason Allison...?"

I looked down sadly. "I-I didn't mean to. It was all a big mistake."

They both looked sad before Samantha smiled. "Well, at least we can bring you back home now."

I backed away from them. "No. I'm...I'm already home...and I'm happy. Please, just go back. I don't want to hurt anyone else."

Matt reached toward me. "But, Aria-"

He quickly retracted his hand as I yelled, "Go! Please. This is where I belong. And I don't want to fight anymore."

I hugged my arms and closed my eyes. I heard Matt's voice say, "Everyone, back home! Our mission is complete!"

"But, sir-"

"I said, our mission is complete."

I heard the fading of footsteps and when I opened my eyes, all the hunters were gone. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked back at Hoodie.

I simply hugged him, feeling his arms wrap around me. When I pulled away, he quietly told me, "Aria. What a pretty name."

"Promise you won't tell anyone?"

"Promise."

He took my hand and we slowly made it back to the mansion. Going inside, we found that Slender had returned and was making sure everyone was taken care of.

While Hoodie went to check on Masky, I went to see Jeff. Jack had already bandaged him up and I found him lying on his bed in his room with Smile.

He gazed over at me as I quietly approached. "Blizzaria...I...uh..."

He sighed and turned his head away. "T-Thanks...for helping me."

I smiled as he slowly turned back toward me. "Of course. We're all family now, I couldn't leave you out there. I'm sorry for taking Smile."

He waved a hand at me dismissively. "Don't worry about it. Smile can hang around whoever he wants."

Smile barked as if agreeing. We laughed and talked a bit before I left him to rest. I rejoined the others, checking on Masky as Jack worked on his injuries.

I smiled to myself, happy that I've managed to patch things up with Jeff. Surprisingly, this whole event has brought me a bit closer to my new family.