Chapter 2

Everything is cold. Everything is dark. And suddenly...I feel nothing. My eyes slowly opened. Looking around, I was still in the freezer.

Wait, I don't feel cold anymore. I looked down at my hands. I feel...fine. I then noticed my clothes. They changed.

I was wearing a shirt and skirt, but now I'm wearing a dress. I can't tell the color in the dark, but it's definitely a light color.

I still had my flute in its little bag too. I looked around before going over to the door. I feel a new power inside me. A power I can use to free myself.

I placed my palm on the door, watching a thick wall of ice spread from my hand all across the door. The handle to the hinges, every part was now covered in ice.

I backed up and added more and more ice and pressure to the door until it finally just cracked and fell apart. I walked out of the freezer, looking around the dark, empty kitchen.

I went into a small bathroom to see myself in the mirror. I gasped upon seeing my reflection. My skin was paler than before and my eyes and hair were icey blue in color.

My dress went down a short distance from my knee. It was light blue at the top then slowly turned white toward the bottom and it was covered in glittery snowflakes.

My feet were bare, but they didn't feel cold. I also had a light blue ribbon tied around my neck. I held my hand out, palm up, and watched as small, glittering snowflakes appeared above my hand.

I smiled to myself and spread them out into the air, watching them fall before melting. I lightly touched the mirror, a thin layer of ice covering it.

Wow, I never realized how beautiful ice could be. I took out my flute and lightly traced my finger over its length, causing small, glittering patterns to spread over it.

Now it's really pretty. As I left the bathroom, I glided my hand across the walls. Layers of ice followed my hand as I left through the back of the school.

I could see the sun setting in the sky. I took a deep breath, the cool air filling my lungs. It felt...refreshing to get out of that stuffy kitchen.

"Aria!"

I turned to see my sister happily rushing over. She quickly stopped in front of me, her smile quickly faded as she looked at me.

"Aria? What happened to you?"

"I...don't really know myself."

"Your eyes, your hair, your clothes. You look like you just came out of a freezer."

I looked down at the ground and quietly said, "Well, um, I kinda did. Jason locked me in the freezer."

Her eyes were wide. "Oh, you poor thing. Just wait till I get my hands on him!"

She started to hug me before quickly letting go. "Your skin is cold, are you sure you're okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine, really."

She suddenly took my arm and said, "C'mon, we've gotta get home. Mom's been worrying about you after you didn't come back."

I jerked my arm out of her hand, causing her to look at me in confusion. "No. I'm not going home. I can't."

"Why not?"

"I...I don't know."

For some reason, I just want to be left alone. I don't want to go home or be around anyone else.

"Don't be silly, Aria. Let's go."

She reached for me again, but I backed away from her. "Please, Allison, just go without me."

She shook her head. "No way. We're sisters, we stick together."

I sighed. "Please, just go."

"Not without you."

She came toward me and I instinctively pushed her back. She let out a loud gasp after I shoved her. I watched in horror as her body was encased in ice.

She was completely still and looked just like a statue. My eyes became blurred with tears as I began crying.

"Allison? Allison, what have I done to you?"

I slowly fell to my knees, tears streaming down my face as I cried into my hands. "I'm so sorry, Allison. I didn't mean to do this to you. I'm...I'm a monster."

I took out my flute and slowly brought it up to my lips. With a shaky breath, I began to play a soft, sad melody. I could still feel the tears run down my cheeks as I played.

As soon as I finished the melody, I stood and wiped my face of stray tears. "I'm like a blizzard, everything around me freezes and dies. Aria, is gone. From this day forward, I am Blizzaria."

With a sad smile, I lightly touched my sister's frozen face. "I will distance myself from people, for I am no longer human. If there was ever anyone I could always rely on, it was you, Allison. Goodbye, my sister."

I quietly turned and walked away, heading toward the woods. I will live by myself, away from humans.

I've lived in fear almost all my life. Fear of being judged, bullied, misunderstood for my shy, quiet nature. Now it's time to be free from it all.

Going beyond the trees, I look around, taking in the sights, the sounds, the smells. I continue walking deeper into the dark forest.

For the first time in my life, I feel completely comfortable and safe. I finally found a place where I can be myself, where I can be...happy.