Chapter 5

It was the next night when the village came together and feasted on the bounties of the ocean, to drink ale and boast about their fishing skills. It was also the very first time that Gwen was invited by Aoife to join her with all of the older woman while everybody else danced and made merry. What Aoife didn't tell Gwen was that the older woman of the village had the joy of keeping the younger children away from the fire and giving them something to do. Which usually meant that the women sat around a secluded campfire in makeshift chairs, while one by one, they told legends and stories that wowed and made the children sit in rapture.

And so far, even Gwen had her eyes misted a few times, imagining the different tales come to light. Even though she could still hear the faint thump thump thump of the dancing drums and the whispers of laughter and cheer, the stillness of the tent was a small port in a sea of storms. Gull sat on her lap, his head barely on his lap because of a small Swedish girl, the daughter of the trader that Charles had mentioned, was petting him. It was one of the only movements in the tent, besides breathing.

"-And so," the woman with a lilting accent said, "the Prince slowly walked into the dungeon. Dark and ever so terrifying, his footsteps echoed as he walked further into his doom. 'I will bring honor to my family and Kingdom,' thought the Prince bravely. He wasn't afraid. His prophecy at birth said he shall find love in the dragon's eye, and he knew he wouldn't die until he met his love." Only the fire crackled. "He past burned piles of armors, bones littering the halls of the twisting labyrinth. The Prince was ready for anything, his sword at the ready as he marched onward. Then he found himself at a closed end of the dungeon, where the passage closed off. He turned around, to find another way through, when his sword began to glow."

The woman's voice trailed off, "'What's this? The Faerie Sword was glowing!' Thought the Prince, as he turned around once again to face the closed passage. 'There is mischief afoot!' And with a thrust of his mighty sword, he touched the stone wall."

"Immediately, the wall disappeared, and there, lying before the Prince was a passage lit bright with flames. Unlike the other parts of the castle, this one was clean and age didn't touch it. Still, the Prince moved on. As he continued, he noticed some objects upon the ground. He picked it up only to find it was a gold coin! He was near the dragon's lair! As he ventured forth, the coins grew in numbers until there were giant piles taller than the Prince himself! He walked into a great chamber, as tall as the highest peak of a tower, and as wide as a castle itself. Gold was everywhere, brightly twinkling where ever he looked."

"And then he heard something behind him, and taking no chance, swung his sword around. Only, it was not a dragon, but a fair lady, with hair of spun silver. She was the most beautiful thing the Prince could have ever seen, with eyes the color of the sunsets sky, and lips of a rosy red."

""Hello," said she, her voice made the heavens themselves open unto the Prince. "What are you doing here, Knight?" "I am here to slay the dragon, and ask you to run away with me, until the ends of the Earth." The Prince said, lowering his sword. "Please, I shall take you from this place if you need only ask." "I wish I could, Knight. However the dragon is very protective of me." She said sadly, "I cannot run away before he shall find me and chain me to a wall!" "I will protect you, my fair Princess." The Prince said, just as he heard sliding metal behind him." "Oh no," said the Princess, "the dragon awakens!""

"The Prince turned around just in time to see a huge shape come from the gold coins, until a dark red head emerge. The dragon was fearsome, with a thousand teeth that could bite you into little bits. Golden eyes you could not look into, for fear it shall read your soul. The room's size grew small in comparison with the dragon, and the Prince only watched as it spread out it's wings to the farthest sides of the room before it ROARED!" The woman yelled loudly, making a few girls jump and a boy gasp. She was speaking fast now, making the story come to life.