Chapter 16

Somewhere in the middle of Europe

.

A wolf walked through the underbrush of a forest, it's black coat invisible to all but those who knew how to look after it. It's paw's danced in rhythm, one two, three, four. It breathed in the wet smell of rain, and then snorted.

Pausing, something flickered in it's too human eyes and it looked away. A noise. Lowering itself to the ground, it watched with golden eyes. Whatever was coming wasn't quiet, making a racket in the evening air. Several birds flew out of their trees crying out a warning only their kind could understand, but everybody could hear. Finally, the black wolf flicked it's ears up and then straightened to an easy stance. A light brown wolf emerged from the thicket, seemingly to step on every branch and leaf in it's path.

The two wolfs seemed to communicate with each other via body language. The younger one seeming anxious and ready to leave, while the older one held his stance and his ears flicked.

Finally, whatever conclusion was met and the two wolves went on their way in the same direction. The forest blurred past them, trees with different smells and colors rushed by as the two animals raced back towards civilization.

They both slowed down when they came upon a large house, one that might hold about fifty people. The black wolf disappeared behind a curtain strung up behind the house, while the other waited patiently until a man emerged. Dark black curly hair that was usually slicked back, and broad shoulders. He looked, of course, like a typical werewolf. All brawn, greek god look. However, he didn't quite look at the ladies who wanted his attention. He worked for the pack, doing what needed to be done or else it wouldn't get finished.

"What do you want, Eugene." He asked, the brown wolf, who skittered past him and behind the curtain. "I don't like being disturbed. Everybody in the whole pack knows that I am not to be disturbed and yet here I am, barely fifteen minutes away from the house!"

"I-I'm sorry, Alpha Pietro!" A boy emerged, hastily pulling on a t-shirt. "I didn't mean to. I was asked to bring you back to the pack house because the Elders wanted to speak to you. I didn't mean t-to interrupt your down time." He had brown hair, and dark brown eyes. Eugene was the sort of fella who didn't quite know how, to put in the most accurate word, adorable he was pack. Girls would help him do his chores, just to see him smile.

"It's fine." Pietro sighed, his hand coming up and brushing through his hair. "Your message has been received, go do what you were doing before hand." Eugene scurried off without another word, leaving the dark haired Italian to his thoughts as he walked over to the Elder's House.

The Elders of the clan, including his parents, all lived in the same house. Pietro knew them all very well, and asked for advice when it came to it. After all, the oldest wolves were the ones who learned how to survive. It would be a shame if Pietro didn't take advantage of their knowledge and insights on problems that he faced. It's why they call him Alpha, even though Pietro didn't get the title until after he met his soulmate, Luna. Or whoever they were. Honestly, at the moment, Pietro didn't think he'd even have time for his soulmate (just saying the word, 'mate' was demeaning in his head. His Luna, whoever they were, were part of his soul, not something to mate with every full moon).

By the time Pietro walked into the warm interior of the Elder's House, he knew something was up. All of the familiar faces, aunts, uncles, even a few grandparents were sitting in the front room. Uncle Bruno and Aunt Marie weren't even fighting, which spoke to Pietro that this was not a typical summoning.

"My son," Pietro's father, Alexander, spoke up. "It is so good to see you!" He brought his son into a hug.

"Papa," Pietro said, reciprocating the hug. "You just saw me this morning. What are you all doing?"

"Pietro, I think you might want to sit down." His mother, Bella, said softly. "Think of this as for your own good. Someday you'll come to realize this moment is for the better, though you might not think of this at the moment."

Pietro might've been all brawn, but he definitely had a brain. "This is an intervention." He sighed, as he lowered his head. "Non di nuovo."

"You need to find your Luna!" His Grandmother, Rosa, spoke up. "Or the pack will stop respecting you for who you are and you'll die!"

"Nonna," Pietro exclaimed in surprise.

"Madre!" Alexander scolded. "We were going to lead him into that. Now the whole surprise is ruined!"

"Morirai da solo," Nonna Rosa muttered and went back to her knitting.

"No, I will not die alone." Pietro threw his hands up in the air. "By the Lunar Goddess, I will find my Luna when she will find me!"

"Ah, but what does that say about you!" Aunt Marie pointed a finger at Pietro. "An Alpha who doesn't care about his Luna? His soulmate? She has to find you herself?!" Her voice rose to an unfavorable pitch.

"Zia," Pietro tried to calm his aunt down, "please, per favore. I will find her in my own due time. She might be only seven years old right now! I do not want her to feel forced to be my soulmate before she is ready."

"Mio figlio," Alexander placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "You know that by now she must be old enough. You are thirty three! The Lunar Goddess does not wait until you are eight years old in order for your soulmate to be born. For all we know, your Luna might already be married to another man."

"No. She isn't." The youngest wolf in the room stubbornly said.

"You have waited too late." Nonna Rosa spoke up again, her eyes not moving from her knitting. "She is gone. Poof."

"Madre!" Alexander scolded again, "we are trying to make him feel motivated!"

"I don't need to feel motivated. A time will come when I will find her, and when that happens, I promise you it will be the right time. I don't need to go looking for her."

"That's why," Pietro's mother spoke up with a warning in her voice to quiet others, "we decided to make a plan."

"What plan? I don't need any plan, mama!"

"Mio figlio, this will only be a one time deal. We will not bother you anymore about this matter if it does not work." Bella soothingly said, trying to unruffle her son's feathers.

"Do you promise?"

The silence in the room was astonishing. But with one well placed glare from Bella, the older people muttered their agreements.

"What is this plan, mama." Pietro asked, relieved. If he could get the Elder's off of his back about this, then all would be well. And he would do anything rather than having the awkward conversations or the numerous interventions they planned for him. His uncle had once cornered him at his own birthday dinner which had ended in a disaster. If anything, it would be a blessing to have them promise not to scheme about the Luna subject.

"Well, we were hoping to plan a gathering. Invite all of the neighboring packs that have split off, maybe even throw in a few faires..." Bella's voice continued onwards while Pietro sat there, blinking in astonishment.

Oh no, what has he gotten himself into?

.

Italian:

Mio figlio- my son

Zia- Aunt

Morirai da solo- you will die alone

Non di nuovo- not again

Nonna- Grandmother

.

Words: 28,642