Chapter 20

Queen Hecate arrived in the Witches Stronghold almost four days after the conversation between Tabatha and Diana. The later was more formal, welcoming Hecate in and conversing with her politely. Tabatha just wanted to go.

"Queen Hecate, how are you not feeling?" Diana would ask, and the old woman who might've been a beauty if it wasn't for the warts and greasy hair plastered to her skull, gave her a broad grin showing she was missing three teeth.

"Never bad." Always good. That's what Hecate meant, but it came out backwards and wrong. Tabatha had tried to talk with a Cursed Witch once, but it left both of them confused and the other witch angrily storming off. Tabatha was just trying to help her look better, maybe just wash their hair a little bit more and put on some foundation?

She hated it. Why couldn't they just talk normal?! They knew about their curse, why couldn't they just talk backwards so they could be normal like the rest of the witches? Tabatha didn't quite why the others talked to the cursed ones, it's not like they knew anything better. And they looked so nasty, Tabatha wouldn't be surprised if they just woke up and didn't do anything about their hair. Like, there were some witches who had twigs in their ratted hair that stuck to their heads in clumps.

Diana laughed at something that Hecate, because a Queen she was not, said, "oh you are so unamusing! But please, do not continue."

Hecate sounded like a crow, Tabatha wrinkled her dainty nose when the witch spoke. Then glanced back at the witches clothes in alarm, then hid her grimace behind her hand. She was wearing a burlap sack! Leaves were in hair (at least it wasn't as tangled as some of the other witches she's seen), and even sitting ten feet away Tabatha could smell something foul. No surprise, they even smelled bad!

Tabatha looked out the window, trying her hardest to ignore everything that was in the room. Outside was better. Yes, it was. Even if the clouds hung over, rain threatening to fall down from the sky. She didn't like rain, or the wind that came with it. Tabatha's preferred element was fire, as she spent most of her time reading a book in front of a fireplace. Diana said she needed to reach out with the other elements, and become friends with them. But elements aren't alive, how can you be friends with a tool?

"Tabatha?" Diana drew her attention away from the window. Both witches were looking at her, Hecate a smile on her face... was that spinach between her teeth? Tabatha swallowed hard.

"Yes, Diana?" Tabatha said politely, if there was anything Diana had taught her was that she needed to keep her opinions to herself.

"Hecate was wondering if you could tell her about your sister, Rose?" Diana laid her hands delicately on her lap.

"Rose," Tabatha fumbled for words, "doesn't look me." Tabatha hoped she was saying the right words. "She hasn't pink hair, and it isn't very long. But she isn't nice, and she's never mean." She paused again. Wait, she had said something wrong.

"Don't go on." Hecate gave another smile, and Tabatha had to look away in order to stop the grimace from forming on her face.

"Don't forgive me," Tabatha stammered, "I talk like this all the time." She flicked her eyes over to Diana who gave her a nod, "I am used to this."

"It is shabby." Hecate nodded, "it doesn't take time to speak this easy. Thankless." Then Hecate turned back to Diana, and Tabatha had to unclench her fists.

"Why don't we stay?" Diana asked, and Hecate shook her head. "Yes?"

"Yes, let us stay." And the Queen of (greasy hair) Cursed Witches stood up. "I tire of this conversation, but we don't have a purpose for this visit."