Chapter 23

She had been in here. Pietro took in a deep breath, the sharp smell coming to his senses. It stirred something he didn't know that he had inside of him, the wolf inside wanting to come out. The room was packed full of people, some of them had found their mates, others were still single, but taking advantage of the closeness of the crowd to grind against their dancing partners. Some were openly making out.

She was still here. Her smell was fresh, of sweet apples and blooming flowers that Pietro didn't know he craved until now. His eyes scanned the room several times, looking around to find that one girl or man who would make him so very, very happy. And yet, nobody stood out to him. All of the girls were wearing their dresses swaying to the nameless music as the Alpha looked at them trying to decide which one might be his mate.

There were so many smells in the large ballroom that Pietro couldn't exactly pinpoint where the smell of apples had come from. Every so often he would get a waft of the exhilarating smell, and he would look in the direction that it would come from. However, he wouldn't be able to find his soulmate that the Lunar Goddess had gifted him with the writhing bodies everywhere.

Finally he couldn't stand still any longer. It was driving him insane! Pietro moved away from the wall from where he had been leaning against to go mingle with the crowd. Maybe he'd might bump into her. Just the thought of meeting his faceless Luna made his heart beat faster and his wolf howl inside of him. As he moved through the mindless mass of bodies, his heart rate skyrocketed until he was almost afraid that he might shift right here.

She was here. She was here. Her scent was barely there, thinning out in the mass of people, but she was here. Luna. Mate. Soulmate. The one made just for him, and vice versa. She would be the perfect Luna for his pack, he could tell already. He was hers. She was his.

Then a howl of alarm cut through the music. An intruder.

Just the thought of somebody breaking into his home while his soulmate was here made the wolf howl again, but this time in rage. Several of his men broke off from the dancing floor, leaving their dancing partners or mates as they raced towards the doors off to the side. Pietro was the first one through, racing up the steps noticing Grey, his Beta in command, was gone from his watch. It was probably he who had-

Oh. The smell. She had just been here! Apples and flowers assaulted Pietro as he took the steps up two by two, until he reached the top of the landing. He arrived to just see Grey crash through the window, the sound making him see red. What if she had gotten hurt?!

There were two girls at the end of the hallway, one in a red flowy dress and had a veil across her face, and one with a blue summer dress. Before he could see either of their faces well, the one in red tugged the blue girl through the window, holding her tight in her arms.

Pietro rushed towards the window, his ears straining to hear when they would crash into the ground. Except when he peered out into the night air, only the body of Grey laid against the ground. Even from where Pietro was standing, he could hear Grey whimpering. Werewolves can't fall from a three story window without getting hurt.

Lighting flashed, and there was a sudden gust of wind, lighting up the air. There was no sign of the girls.

Pietro took in deep breaths of his mate and then let out a roar into the storm for the Lunar Goddess to hear his agony.

His mate was gone!

.

Pietro paced. It was all he could do.

If he stopped he wouldn't start up again.

Pietro paced. It was all he could do.

.