Chapter 15

Grace couldn't move for the rest of the night. Staring up at the ceiling, she let her mind wander. And empty sort of hollow feeling in her stomach made her thoughts go to a darker path.

What was doing?

Grace is the Gold Witch! She could be sitting on a throne of gold, a handsome man feeding her by hand and doing everything she wished! She wouldn't be so alone anymore, she would have friends. Her sisters. The human race would welcome her with open arms, she'd go out and they'd all want to be around her! Grace wouldn't be so alone anymore, she'd have friends! Witches would talk with her, not like the olden days where she'd might meet one in passing and talk for a few minutes before going their own way. Dragons, Vampires, they're all there, waiting for her to come out of hiding.

If only she had her wand.

But-

The dangers gold possessed were far greater than the wants that Grace yearned for. Gold could easily be cursed with something, it is considered a perfect metal, anybody could get their hands on it and they'd instantly be risen to the top of whatever society they wanted. Dragons would get richer. Vampires would have the means to attack other clans. Greed swallowed up Grace, and turned her into an emotionless Witch who did what her contractors asked.

She couldn't let that happen. Grace was herself. She might change names when they became too painful for her, but Grace was always herself. Whether she'd go by the names of Ginny, Gwendolin, Gabriella, Gloria, Gina, Gretchen, Gwen, Grace, she is still her. Gold is a part of her, but not the only part. Grace didn't know why she was doing this. She is a soft metal. She is suppose to sit back, let the world work around her and let Brass, or Copper work their hearts out. Laying down to take a nap is appealing, but spending a whole day in bed is tiring.

"I'm home!"

There is no way that she could do nothing. Grace couldn't, wouldn't be able to stand it. The boredom would kill her first, she might actually turn herself into gold before she'd do that though. There was only one witch who did that to himself. Glass Witch, who from what Grace knew of, was probably still in the caves of the Bermuda Triangle. After all, Gold was there when they were both attacked by tribal people who lived on the islands long, long ago.

"Grace, what'cha doing? Are you asleep?"

It was horrific. Glass, her name was... Gia at the time. She had lost her wand while running through a dense jungle, and for protection she had cast a spell to large for her body to handle without her wand. The panic on her face, her white hair turning into strands of glass, that was permanently etched into Grace's mind. Maybe she should go back, to find Gia. Try and find her wand and bring her back home to her sisters. That way, she could have her final burial. Gia really deserved it.

"Grace, you're scaring me. Why are your eyes open? Are you okay? Grace, answer me!"

Another person who didn't deserve Grace was Ædelric. He was a perfectly great dragon. He did everything he could for her, and yet she didn't appreciate him. Maybe she should go find him and tell him she's sorry. Sorry because she had left him for heartbreak. He might still be in the cave in France, but Grace knows he hasn't taken in any other Witch since she left. Or maybe he has, and their relationship is a secret.

"Grace. Grace wake up! Please, don't leave me alone. I don't want to be alone anymore! I really like having you as a friend! So please. Wake up!"

There was a ringing in Grace's ear, and it took her a second to realise that she had been slapped. She blinked a few times, then looked at Rose. She didn't look too well.

"Did the date go well? Or was Stephano a dud." Grace casually asked.

Rose made a high pitched noise and threw herself into Grace. "Don't ever scare me like that again! You can keep your ugly painting here all you want, just please don't do that."