Chapter 8

What has she done?

Gwen knew that she had done this. Staying here, feeling content even though she should have moved on far from here. And yet, with no way off the island she herself was trapped. Gwen knew it was probably a lie. She could have done dozens of other things to find herself off the island. She could have even stolen a boat, for Emeralds Land sakes.

She stood in the field, the peace of the day still with her. She knew if she went towards the village there would be screams and yells and fires and so so much blood. And there wasn't anything she could do about it. Gwen was helpless against the pirates who came after her. It was one thing to bespell a curse on a boy who had taken her wand from her, it was another to find the strength to break the spell the Warlock had on the ship and all of his crew.

The wind whispered in her ear. She could find another way off the island. Or hide until all of the Pirates left. However, they might find Erik... and they wouldn't leave until the place was scoured.

Gwen didn't have the chance to decide her fate, before Gull yipped once and bolted towards the town.

"Gull!" Gwen yelled frantically, but the pup didn't slow down or stop. He kept on running until he was out of sight.

Without a second thought, Gwen raced after him. That didn't stop her from swearing under her breath. Gull, was without doubt, the most idiotic dog in the entire world. Gwen crested the top of the hill, and found the village in a hive of motion. Several huts were on fire, including Aoife's and Charles. Bodies were laid strewn on the ground, no doubt cut down from when they were running from the men. Bearded, stinky, crooked men rushed after those who were still running, a few in the streets drinking from a barrel of ale.

Gwen hesitated. They hadn't spotted her yet, there was still time to leave. Just slide down the hill and find away off the island.

However, a black and white shape caught her eye, and Gwen watched as Gull came tearing down on one pirate. He was leaning over somebody, his sword ready to cut them, when Gull lept and bit him in the rear.

Alarmed, Gwen's legs carried her as fast as she could to Gull. The Pirate was already snarling away at the dog, his sword coming down on Gull. The small pup was yipping as hard as he could as if to scare away the human.

"No!" She shouted, her hand reaching up and a shock wave flew from her hand and into the Pirate. He flew back, and hit a tree, but it did no damage to him. Anger, fear, and frustration now powered Gwen as Gull went to sniff at her skirts. Her magic was hostile, and she felt it sharpening into points beneath her skin, the warm rushing feeling making her heart beat fast.

Gwen knew she couldn't run any further.

The Pirate looked alarmed to see Gwen, then his dirty brown face turned into a dry smile. Or what looked like one, Gwen couldn't be too sure. He crouched down, and picked up his sword from where he had dropped it.

"The Cap'an will be pleased ta see ya." He said, and even now Gwen could smell his rank breath. Have they ever heard of mint leaves? They should chew one once in awhile. "If ya come with me now, I won't harm the boy."

It was then that Gwen noticed that the person that the Pirate was about to kill was Peter. He was bleeding from a cut behind his ear, and his eyes flickered back between the Pirate and Gwen.

"I won't be going anywhere with you, pig." Gwen spat, her hand tightening around her wand. The gold glinted in the sunlight, drawing the Pirates eye to it.

"Oh ho! That's where yar powers come from, miss. You got the wand activated." He crowed, sounding pleased. "I can't wait until the Cap'an uses that wand to make us all filthy rich."

"You're already filthy, scum." Gwen said, pointing the wand at the Pirate. "Now, I want you to drop the sword, or you will suffer."

"I ain't be doing no thing." The Pirate said, and then behind Gwen she heard a noise. She turned to see a stick smack her in the face. Gwen brought her hands to her face, trying to stem the flow of blood dripping down from her now broken nose. There was a moment of realization when Gwen touched her face that she had dropped her wand.

She glanced down only to see the second Pirate scoop up her wand and rush away with it.

"Come back! That's mine!" Gwen shrieked, racing after the Pirate. Gull at her heels. She ran through what used to be the center of the town, the Pirate easily ahead of her. Her gowns her pulling her down, and it wasn't the first time that Gwen cursed them. There was a yip by her feet and Gwen looked down to see that Gull was limping much slower than before, trying to keep up with her. She scooped him up and pushed him into the front of her gown before gathering her skirts in her fist and continuing after the thieving Pirate.

There were sudden cheers and jests around her, and Gwen knew what kind of sight she was making. A girl was chasing a Pirate around, not the other way. It must have been funny.

The Pirate came to the end of the dock, and handed the wand to a man. The Captain. He looked down and picked up the wand, his fingers curling around the walnut wood and held it up to peer at it. He was a handsome man, from where Gwen could see him.

"I don't suppose there is any more gold on this, besides this little dusting?" The Captain mused, and Gwen gritted her teeth. Her wand was fine, thank you very much.

"Give it back. It's mine." She said, lifting her chin up.

The Captain looked at her, and Gwen sucked in a breath. While he looked handsome on one side, a huge cut raced across his face, ending at the puckered end of his mouth. "Oh? This little stick is yers, now is it?"

"Yes." Gwen's eyes flickered from his face to her wand. "Give it back."

"And, I suppose, ye know how to use this little trinket?" The Captain stepped until he was in front of her. While he had once appeared good looking, sans the scar, the stink and alcohol that clung to him like a second skin was revolting. "Yer not a Witch. Where did ye come across this stick?"

Gwen didn't break any eye contact. Defiance was her best bet at the moment, though she knew she was doomed. She didn't say anything, and the Captain continued onwards. "I have been lookin' for one of these for a long time." He held up the wand again, appraising it. "I got one a few years ago. Had my first mate look at it. All it could do was turn people into black cats. So then I started to wonder, what could wand should I find to use." He turned away. "Then I hear this legend, a Witch who has the power of Gold. And ye know what? This is exactly what I've been looking for for the last three years." He put her wand into her pocket. "A little anticlimactic, don't ye think?"

"There isn't any power in that stick. It just has a little gold on it." Gwen said, trying out her next bet. Suddenly her vision was filled as the Pirate Captain leaned into her face, inches away.

"Do ye believe in Witches?" He asked, his rank breath washing over her face.

"Do you?" She asked, cocking in her head to the side. "Do you believe that somewhere out there, women with powers beyond your imagination are cursing poor Princes and hovering over a pot full of green slime? Do you think that dragons exist? Along with vampires? Do you think that all of these creatures are real, and they are interlocked in a tight weave of fate?" Gwen stared up into his eyes, daring him to believe everything that she had said to be true. Lies, as she found about, where sometimes the best way to get out of trouble. Even though it was partly the truth.

"Aye." Said the Pirate Captain, a corner of his ruined mouth tilting upwards. "And yer going to help me find 'em."