Chapter 1

"T-the truth is.... I like you, please go out with me."

There, I said it. I've been holding these feeling in my chest for three and a half years now, and now on my last semester of high school, I grew the courage to confess.

There she stands, her face in surprise. Ashley Anderson. Beautiful and smart, her popularity increased be every year since freshman year.

"I'm sorry... I'm really flattered, but I can't accept your feelings. We can be friends, if you'd like."

What? Friends? Well... it could be worse. I mean, I haven't really had much contact with her, given my introverted personality and how I felt about her.

"Sure, if you're fine with me. I'd love to be your friend."

"Really? Every other guy I rejected hated the idea, saying stuff like "I'd rather die than be friendzoned"."

"Yeah well, even if I got rejected, I still like you. If we can hang out and have fun, even as friends, I'm sure I'll be ok."

Yeah, I'll be fine. I don't really care much about myself, but as long as she's happy, and I get to learn more about her, maybe it'll be fun.

"Awesome, I don't have much, but please take care of me, uhh...."

"Adam. Adam Graham. And likewise, Miss Anderson. I hope we can be good friends."

"Me too!" She shook my hand and smiled.

There's her beautiful smile. Some guys talk about her body and others about her smarts. But the thing that made me fall in love with her was that big happy smile of hers I saw back in freshman year. I chuckled and smiled back. This isn't half bad either.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, you failed to confess??!!"

I slammed my face against my desk. I really shouldn't have called him.

"Yeah, now we're friends."

"Hahahahahahahaa, this is rich."

Jake Armstong. Best friend since elementary school moved afterwards but we met every once in a while and kept in contact throughout these years. He's my only friend and the only I need.

"Y'know, you can be a dick sometimes, right?"

"Sorry, sorry. But really, it's a good thing. Better than staying complete strangers, you guys are friends now."

I sighed deeply. He's right. It may not be a grandiose thing like a girlfriend, but it's better than being nothing at all.

"So, how's your writing going?"

"Same crap as every day since elementary, man. Zip inspiration and lesser motivation to continue. Maybe something will pop up when I get to college."

"Let's hope so, bro. Your stories were the best back in school."

"You only say that 'cause you're my friend."

"Maybe. But everyone else loved them too, y'know."

"Whatever. When I get inspiration to write, I'll let you know."

"Roger. Well, I gotta get to bed. Got Soccer practice in the morning. Good night, Adam."

"Good night, dude."

I hunged up and laid in bed for a good hour. My writing pads were all over the ground surrounded by crumbled up pages. Nothing even worth bringing up. I closed my eyes and tried to picture something worth writing about.

Her face popped up. No. I rolled in bed to get the image out of my head. We're friends now. And if I wanna stay her friend, I can't let those feelings ruin eveything. I gotta stay with her as long as she wants me there.

But the weirdest thing is... I actually feel like writing about her. Wonder what she'll think when I tell her that.

No time for this. It's late, and I have homework for tomorrow. Gotta finish up 'cause tomorrow I start my role as the friend of the girl I like.