Chapter 5

Man, if she ever found out that I'm following her like this, it could really put a wedge in out friendship. As I followed them, I noticed he was being overly defensive of her. Jealous much? I don't think she'd give him a reason to but then we accidentally stumbled upon each other at the mall.

"Hey, Adam. Fancy meeting you here."

"Oh, hey, Ashley. I was just gonna go grab a game that came out today. This must be your boyfriend." I extend my hand as a gesture. "Hey, I'm Adam Graham. A classmate of Ashley's."

He gave me this momentary stare of discontent but shook my hand regardless.

"Matt. Matt Westly."

"Wel it was fun, but I gotta jet before they run out of copies of Tales. Pleasure, Matt." I ran off.

I hid quickly. Damnit, I screwed up. They seem to be talking about me... Now they must be weary of my tailing them. I grabbed a new jacket from a nearby store and followed them more conspicuously.

It seemed ok. Their relationship seemed clear from my point of view, but instead of leaving, I wanted to make sure. Thank God I did. Why did he lead her into an alley?

As I got closer to the turn, I could hear her cries of pain.

"Who was that punk?"

Sobbing. I got a closer look and here he was. She was hurt. He was not.

"He's no one, just a friend."

"A friend, huh? What did I say about your friends?"

"Adam is different, he doesn't see me like that..."

"You sure? Cuz I'm pretty damn well certain your little "friend" was following you today. What did I fucking say?"

Just as he was about to hit her again, I jumped in without thinking.

"That's enough."

"What, bitch? Want some too?"

"No, I just can't stand the fact you hit her. Those fucking bruises on her... Did you do them??!!"

I could hear Ashley begging me not to get involved. He smirked at me and replied.

"Yeah, so what?"

I didn't think. I just moved and went to punch him in the face. He took it full on but moved as if it didn't even tickle him. Can't really expect anything else from a bookworm who barely sees the light of day. He just smiled.

"My turn."

Punch after punch came. I could only take them, he didn't give a chance to hit back. Damn, it really hurts. But it's not my pain that made me angry. This must be what she felt I don't know how many times. She was scared. She was in pain. YET SHE WAS WITH THIS SCUMBAG?!!

Before I knew it, my entire face was bloody and I was on the floor. Ashley came up to try and calm him down. But he just pushed her aside.

"Fucking whore, I know you were sleeping with this little bastard here."

I got angry again. I could barely stand, my face hurt, and I could barely breathe, but I stood up regardless.

"Fucking Whore? Sleeping with people? She knew how I felt yet she still chose you. She still smiled when you called. THIS GIRL IS STUPID ENOUGH TO LOVE YOU EVEN AFTER YOU'VE HURT HER SO MUCH AND YET YOU CALL HER A WHORE??!!! YOU DON'T FUCKING DESERVE HER!!!"

One final punch. One last hit was all it took for me to fall down and not be able to get up again. Damn my weakness.

"Come on, Ash. Let's go."

But Ashley didnt go.

"Yo, Ash. I said let's go."

She ignored him, got up and went straight towards me.

"You ok, Adam?"

I couldn't respond. Hell, I could barely see through the blood.

"Leave that little shit. Get up."

She wouldn't budge. She pulled a hankerchief and started to clean my wounds. He went to grab her and she pulled away.

"Get the fuck out of here."

What? Did I hear that right?

"What'd you say?"

"I said get the fuck out of here and never look for me again."

Matt was just as shocked as I am.

"I don't care what you do to me, Matt..."

Then she gave him the most pissed off stare I've ever seen anyone have. Her entire anger even got me scared.

"BUT DON'T YOU FUCKING HURT MY BEST FRIEND!!"

That scream was enough. People were gathering now, and that was enough for him to pull back.

"This is too much work for one bitch."

He grabbed his stuff and left. Forever. People were grabbing some meds to help me now. I could talk now and I just looked at Ashley.

"Why...did you defend me like that?"

"Because in the week I've known you..."

She just looked at me and smiled. It was the biggest and brightest smile I've seen her have. It made my heart race and my wounds ached less.

"I've had more fun than in the two years I was dating him. I treasure our friendship more than his title of my boyfriend, or ex now."

I wouldn't been able to know if I were smiling or not, but I thought I was. Then she got close and gently kissed me on the cheek. My face would've been totally red if not for the blackness of the wounds.

"Now, let's get you all better, so you can tell me a story."

"Deal."