Chapter 7

"Shit, I am so late!"

I spent so much time talking to Ashley after she left that I completely forgot that I was gonna hang out with Jake today. Before I knew it, I was half-asleep and with no food in my stomach as I ran to the metro station where we were supposed to meet up. Thinking I had made him wait alone for an hour was what got me so rushed, but in the end, all I felt was an urge to kick him in the ass.

"Ladies, please."

"Aw come on, hang out with us for a little while."

"Yeah, come on."

"I'm waiting for my friend. I can't go, sorry."

There he was. Being gropped by two beautiful young girls. Not a surprise, he's what most people would call a Stud. Nice firm build, tall, short brown hair and emerald green eyes. He's been the target of many confessions since middle school, if his claims are to be believed. And I do believe them. Now he's in trouble, and as much as I wanted to help him... Oh, who am I kidding?

"Yo, Jake, sorry for making you wait, man."

"Adam. No, it's okay. I didn't wait long. Sorry ladies, gotta jet."

As they protested, we just walked on. Then, I remembered my empty stomach. Jake looked around.

"Well, wanna grab lunch? I'm starving."

"You read my mind."

We headed towards the nearest Popeye's cuz boy do I love that fried chicken. As we ate, we just spent the time talking about the latest video games and movies we've watched. That's why we became such good friends despite the obvious contrast in our personalities and looks. He may not look like it, but this guy is a major geek. We just kept talking and talking until we got out of Popeye's.

"Hey, the new Sci-Fi movie is out today. Wanna go watch it?"

"Hell yeah I do."

We ran directly to the theater and catched the first showing they had. The action was good, the story was awesome and with just a right amount of comedy. When the movies finsished, he could barely contain himself.

"DID YOU SEE THAT??!!! FREAKING AMAZING!!!!"

"Yeah, I did. I especially loved the scene where the hero's lover took up the gun and saved him for a change."

"I loved that scene, but my favorite has got to be when the masked villian turned out to be the hero's best friend disguised as a spy, willing to get his hands dirty to do what was right. Anti-Heroes are so cool."

See? Two huge geeks, Best friends. Then he looks at his phone.

"Time to hit the spot of ours. Shall I grab the snacks from the convenience store?"

"Sure, I'll wait for you there, make sure it's clear."

"Deal."

He ran off to the store, I went towards our usual hang spot.

It was a department store at one point, but given the rise and ultimately fall of the economy and the effects of capitalism from larger store chains, it closed down and the building was left abandoned for years. At night, problem kids would hang around and fuel their vices, but its gotteb pretty quiet now-a-days. Now, Jake and I usually hang on the rooftop, sit, look at the stars for a while and just talk emotional shit while eating junk food.

I broke in same as always, made sure the coast was clear, and headed upstairs. The view from the roof was amazing as always. You could see the entire town from up there, and the sunset could not be compared with. Shortly after sitting there, Jake showed up with the stuff. Two liters of Coca-Cola, a bag of chips, a bag of cookies, and a bag of Twizlers. We just sat at the edge and looked at the city below.

"So, hows it going with Ashley?"

"It's as one would expect. Did i tell you what happened with her boy--... her Ex?"

"No, was he the one behind the bruises?"

I then proceeded to tell Jake everything that had happened that day. His expressions varied from anger by the injustice, laughter at me for fighting back to smiling because of the conclusions.

"Hahahahaha, I can't picture you in a fight."

"As much I hate to admit it, it wasn't much of a fight. Felt more like a beatdown. I didn't even scratch him."

"You should've called, man. You know I would've skipped practice and runned all the way there to help."

"Yeah, I know. But it was something I had to handle on my own, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to face my dad."

"Speaking of, how's your family?"

"My mom is still waiting for you to visit. She's always counted you as one of her own children. And my sister still had a huge crush on you. But they're good. As good as can be."

"Glad to hear that."

We just stayed there in silence for a few minutes before my inner depressive dumbfuck came out. The aftereffects of my father's death and the bullying I suffered as a kid.

"I wonder, who would actually give a shit if I were to disappear?"

Jake has heard this shit come out of my mouth dozens of times before. Before I opened my mouth again, he had his fist to it and knocked me down.

"Ow."

"Me for starters. You may not believe this in your eternal pessimistic view of the world, but I love you like a brother and not once have I believed that I would be the same without you. You have been there for me when my parents couldn't, you were my friend because of what you saw deep inside me, and you stuck by me when I felt alone. So not once ever think that people will not care if you were gone, Graham. Because I count four people right now who's lives you've brought into the light, and they would only suffer if you were gone."

"Oh yeah, who's the fourth one, aside from my family and you?"

"Ashley, of course. She loves you like a bro, just like me." He grinned so brightly, I just needed to kick him in the stomach.

"Ass."

I sat up again and he sat next to me.

"Thanks, Jake."

"No worries about it. That's what brothers are for, right?"

"Yeah, brothers."

One fist bump was all we needed, and we laughed off, just sitting around as the night turned dark, but the stars shined brightly.