Chapter 13

"I don't even know anymore, man. Maybe it's just jealousy."

"Well, trust your gut, dude."

After the next few days of Ashley starting out on the college choir, she kept seeing that member, Sean Druery. Every time I looked at him, a pit would form in my stomach, and I didn't know what to do about it. I called Jake to ask for advice. If there's anyone who knows what to do, it would be him.

"Did you trust your gut back in April?"

"You mean back then with Matt? Well I did follow my gut feeling and all of that happened."

"Exactly. When it came to Ashley, you knew when she was in trouble. You should check this guy out and make sure."

"He is a second year, maybe some people around may know him."

"Good. Now, besides burning jelly over some guy sweeping Ashley off her feet, how's college life?"

"Well, you know. Same as high school. I found a few good locations to nap, but not one for playing online."

"Hahahaha, you should probably focus more on studying than looking for good WiFi spots, dude."

"You're probably right, but I need stuff to do while Ash is on the choir and stuff. Online gaming is what I do not as bad as other things."

"How about your stories? That last one you sent me was pretty good. Very graphic."

"The one with the kid and the demons and the war?"

"Yeah, the one with the mute girl. I especially liked the way he convinced the other monster leaders to join him."

"Hahaha, yeah..."

"Work on some new ones. Who knows, maybe you'll figure out what to do about Ashley while writing. Your best ideas did come while you came up with stories."

"Thanks, Jake... I'm gonna go work on something. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, man. If you need me to open a can of whoop-ass, just call. I'll be there in a jiffy."

"Hahahahaha. Okay, Mr. Black Belt. Good night, dude."

"Night, bro."

I hanged up and threw myself on my bed. My head was swimming in those dozens of ideas as to what that choir member could be. It did give me ideas for stories. Sci-Fi, horror... mystery...

"What am I thinking?"

Each idea is even worse than the last. I could feel myself become even more uneasy by the minute. My body was rolling around until I fell off the bed. It was at that time that I remembered the worst part of that thing that happened during April...

"Man, that was pathetic... I couldn't hurt him."

I decided. It may not help much, but I had to do something. So I turned my face to the floorboards. And one push up. Two. Three. Man, my arms are weak as hell. They hurt like crazy. But I pickdd myself up and tried again. By the third time I fell face first, I heard the doorbell.

"Adam, can you get that?"

Guess my sister must be at a friend's place. So I put on some pants and walked downstairs, to find Ashley.

"Hey, dude."

"Hey, dear. What's up?"

"Well I realized that I've been neglecting our friendship as of late, so I brought a peace offering."

She showed a box and shook it slightly.

"Donuts. May I come in?"

"Of course. Hope you brought me chocolate."

"Damn, I knew I forgot something."

She laughed and stuck her tongue out.

"Why would I forget your favorite donut flavor?"

We went to my room and just joked and laughed like the old times. Her smile was just as bright as always, and I enjoyed every minute.

"Oh hey, I wrote a really cool story. Made a few chapters. Wanna read it?"

"Oh yes. I missed your stories."

I got up to grab my notepad from my desk but when I turned, she wasn't there. Found her in the hall, talking on the phone. She was giggling like a child. Wonder who it was. After a while, she hanged up.

"Sorry, I gotta go."

"Was that Michelle?"

"No, Sean."

Just the freaking mention of his name was enough to make my stomach turn.

"He wants to go see a movie. It starts now. Gotta run. Rain check on those stories?"

"Yeah... sure. I'll be sure to keep writing them."

"Awesome. Thanks, buddy."

She stormed off and after I heard the door close behind her, I dropped on the floor. I was so sick of feeling this. What was it?

"Damn it all the way to hell..."

"Hey."

My mom popped her head in my room. Her dark brown hair all in a bun. Guess she was cooking dinner.

"Sorry, mom."

"I don't know what's going on but... If something is troubling you, doing something about it better than just giving up, don't you think?"

She was right. If there's anything I learned in the last 30 minutes is that I want to protect that smile, and that Sean Druery makes me sick to my stomach.

"Thanks, mom."

She gave a warm smile and nodded.

"Dinner will be done soon. Its your favorite, lasagna."

"Oh sweet mercy, yes."

She laughed and hummed a tune while walking back to the kitchen. I laid down on the floor again, looked at the picture of my dad on the shelf and turned to face the floor.

"Worst case scenario is..."

I have to punch him in the face. Gotta get ready to hurt him. Bad. So I started to push myself one more time. Because this time, even if it is just jealousy, I will protect her.