Chapter 12

Well summer is over and done with and classes start today. I got to the college entrance, and waited for Ashley. She was gonna be late. Our classes start in 5 minutes. Where is she?

"Damnit..."

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. A text?

"Sorry, I'm gonna be late. Go ahead of me."

Geez, now I need to run to class. I showed to the classroom, almost out of breathe, and walked in. American History. A basic lecture, and I wanted to take it just to refresh on some points. The professor walked in, portfolio in hand and just when he was about to speak, he was interrupted by someone storming into the room.

"Sorry, I'm late!"

I just laughed. Some things never change with Ashley. Cutting it close is one thing, but doing that every single class is kinda klutzy.

Every guy had his eye on her. Understandable, she was incredibly beautiful this morning. Wearing peach t-shirt and skirt, with little amounts of make up here and there, she seemed like fresh out of a magazine. Guess all them eyes staring at her must've been disappointed when she came straight at me. At least I get to see a friendly face in the mornings.

When lunch came around, we went to a nearby cafe.

"Man, that social sciences lecture is so dryyyyyyy..."

"Ash, it's not very lady-like to slump like that on a cafe, complaining about a class."

"But it's so boriiiiing..."

"You're in college now, get used to it. What do you wanna order?"

Maybe it was the prospect of food that refilled her energies, but she immediately sat up straight and ordered. We spent the next 45 minutes just laughing like usual over every stupid little thing, before she got up for her next class.

"See ya later."

"See you."

Now I got some time before my next class, so I did what I always did whenever I reached someplace new. Pulled out my phone and started hunting down WiFi signals. If I'm gonna be here for the next 4 years, might as well look for places I can pull out my laptop and play online.

Now, you may be asking yourselves, why would I do that in an institution of education? The answer is simple. I get bored easily, Ashley and I have different class schedules, and I'm already paying a small fortune to enroll here, might as well make the most of my time and money.

I spent an hour looking, but the only places with a good connection were far away from any comfortable spots to play. As the bell rang for 2pm, I gave up my search and went back to class. As I passed the choir room, I could hear a soothing and familiar voice singing.

As I took a peak inside, I saw Ashley singing in front of who I believed was the professor in charge of the choir. When Ashley was finished, the professor gave a small round of applause. She was impressed. Ashley must've seen me cuz she smiled and gave me the thumbs up, which I took as a good sign, so I went about my day. College seems like fun.

"Man, I'm tired."

After my last class of the day, I went to meet up with Ashley. She told me she went back to the choir room to sign some papers, so I was going over there to meet with her.

When I reached the hall, I saw her talking all giddy and flustered with a guy. Tall, blonde hair, attractive. He must be very popular with the ladies. And she seemed really happy talking with him.

"Hey, Ash. Ready to go?"

"Oh, yeah, just about."

"Boyfriend?"

"No, I'm her best friend. Name's Adam. Adam Graham."

"Well, Adam, you are one lucky fellow. Her voice is angelic."

"Stop it, you."

"Well, Ashley. Thank you again for joining the Choir, and I hope to see you very, very soon."

He took her hand in his and gently kissed it. The whole gesture seemed superficial and disgusting, to the point I had to hold myself back from doing gag reflexes. But as we walked out of there and headed our way home, I couldn't help but hate myself for it. I had no right to complain on who hangs around her, or who she ends up dating. Not like I'm her father or something. I'm just a friend to her, after all.