Chapter 21

I ran that day more than I had ever run in my entire life. I ran home, screaming out the top of my lungs and locked myself in my room. I could hear my mother knocking, worried about me. But I didn't want to see any one. I was so scared. So angry. But most of all, I was tired. Just so damn tired. The next day, I called in sick at work.

"Sorry, Mister Hughes. I'm sure this inconveniences you greatly..."

"Don't worry about me, kid, and focus on getting better. Take as long as you need."

"Thank you, I will try to be at work soon."

"Only when you feel better. Love is a mysterious thing, Adam. Just don't give up on it because of one or two accidents."

He hanged up with those final words, leaving me surprised to say the least. How had he known what I was going through? Whatever...

"Adam, do you want lunch?"

There's my mom again.

"No thanks, mom."

"You should eat something. It's not good for you to go so long without food."

"I'll get something when I feel hungry."

My face was buried in my pillow but I heard the door opening.

"Wanna talk about it?"

I turned and sat up on the bed. She sat on the edge and looked at me.

"......"

"What happened?"

"Ashley... she... umm... Pretty sure you know I liked her."

"Yeah, well... It was kinda obvious."

"Heh... Well she found a guy. Someone great... And I got so scared I ran away..."

"Hmmm, do you know this great guy?"

"Yes."

"Well, I don't know much of the situation to give some solid advice, but I can only say this. You should let go of that fear, and listen to your heart. You know what's the best course of action."

"....thanks mom."

"No worries, kiddo. Come on, I'll make you some soup."

I smiled and nodded. She left and I laid back on the bed. The pure white of my ceiling was drowning out the noise of the outside, I fell into a trance. Just me, and my inner demons, Anxiety, Self-loathing and Depression.

You know she's better off.

They started to ring in my head.

You are nothing compared to him. You are trash. Worthless waste of space.
You are not good enough for Ashley.

God, it hurts. Someone, make it stop.

Jake is better looking, smarter than you, stronger than you.

I jerked up, in a cold sweat. Breath ragged. I felt sick. My head was banging. It took me a while to notice.

"Yo, Adam."

"M-Michelle? W-wait, now I'm hallucinating?"

"You aren't crazy. Your mom let me in."

"W-why are you here?.."

"Your mom, she called Ash. Asked her some stuff. Ashley called me. Begged me to come here to help you."

"GODDAMNIT, MOM!!!"

I could hear the "Love you too" all the way over here.

"Come on, get dressed."

"Why?"