Chapter 17

So after all that bullshit with he who I won't bother to name, a lot happened. I got suspended from college. Understandable, I beat a student to a bloody pulp in the middle of school grounds. It's a miracle they didn't kicked me out from the start. He didn't file charges either. Guess his parent didn't want the world to know what he had done. Whatever.

I got suspended from November until the end of the year, which gave me enough time to find a part-time job. Not easy, given the state of the economy. But after a few days, I found a waiter job at a cafe near the train station. It was small, quiet and close to home. The owner was quite nice and understanding, he just needed someone to help around.

The days went on without much stuff to go on. Which was weird. Since the thing with choir boy, Ashley came over my place more often and we hanged just as usual. But once December started and the sky went darker, she showed up less and less. Now its been a weeks since I've seen or heard from her, not even a text to go by...

I'm gonna be honest. I was really worried, but something inside me was angry. I was scared. I've been through crap like this before. I like a girl, girl likes me, we hang, she blames her misfortune on me, she blocks me. I lie on my bed for days, empty on the inside. Actually blaming myself for their pain. Hating myself for hurting them. One girl blames every bad thing that happened to her on me, so I took it to heart, blamed myself. Now every moment I am filled with self-loathing. Another girl manipulated me and twisted my own words against me, nearly drove me insane. And one last girl, who came even before I became friends with Ashley, said my moodiness caused her to feel like crap. Something about her attempts to cheer me up and make me happy didn't seem to her like they worked because I constantly seemed unhappy. Her tears really hurt me. That made me think that I didn't deserve to be happy with others, might as well stay alone. Which is why I sometimes question my decision of letting Jake talk me into confessing to Ashley all those months back.

Damn, I started ranting... Where was I? Ah, yeah. Ashley. I was cleaning the windows of the cafe when someone came in.

"Got a minute?"

"Oh, hey, Michelle. Do you wanna order something?"

"Gimme a french vanilla."

"Coming right up."

I got her order and brought it to her on the counter.

"So, have you heard from Ashley?"

"No, I was wondering if you had."

"Damnit..."

Now that I noticed, Michelle was worried. Ashley wasn't talking to me or her? That is cause for concern.

"Is something wrong?"

"Yes... Ashley is going into a dark place, Adam. And I'm leaving today on vacation with my family. I need someone here to help her."

"Wait, what?"

"*sigh* For as long as I've known her, Ashley hates December. Something happened in her past, something only she can tell you, that causes her to close her heart and everything from everyone, even those who love her deeply, for days or weeks on end. Please. I am begging you."

Man, I felt like a dick. Here I had this feeling burning in my chest, comparing Ashley with all those other girls... And she was probably feeling something much worse than I could possibly imagine.

She pulled out an envelope from her coat. It had my name written on it. She handed me the envelope with a look of worry and sadness.

"Please, Adam. You're the only one I can count on for this. Please save her."

I nodded, she smiled and thanked me. Hugged me, paid for her drink and got up to leave.

"Thank you, Adam. If there's anyone I know can save her from this, it's you."

She left, and as the frigid winter air entered the warm cafe, I opened the envelope. Inside was a key, an address written on a piece of paper, and a photo. A family, mom, dad, a little girl and even smaller boy. Then, I finally understood that there was something very wrong with Ashley. And that I was the only one who could help her.