Chapter 16

A couple of days passed since that talk I had with Michelle. Ashley still refused to talk to me through that whole period. I didn't know what to do about her, so I just waited it out. A vicious cycle of sleeping in class and writing on the rooftop of the main building. No one shows up there, especially when the weather is so chilly, even if you wear a hoodie every day like I do.

"Winter's coming, huh?"

"Better brace yourself, then."

There she was. Ashley, in her full majesty, just opened the door and sat down next to me.

"How did you find me?"

"Some guys from our history class said you were up here. What're you writing?"

"Supernatural action story. Finishing up the last few parts. What's up?"

"Not much. Social Sciences still sucks big time. And the cafeteria is selling lasagna, your favorite."

"I'll be sure to drop by in a bit. So, what are you doing here? I thought you had choir practice on Tuesdays."

"I... I quit the choir. It just wasn't my thing, y'know."

"Nonsense. I heard you in there from day one, you were amazing. The professor totally loved you."

"Yeah well..."

There was something going on. I could tell she didn't wanna leave the choir.

"Ash, what happened?"

"You... you would just tell me that you told me so...."

"You know, it hurts me how little you think of me. I'd never say that to you. Tell me, what's wrong?"

"Sean... he... You know we've been dating since September and he kinda convinced me it was time... saying stuff like he needed proof that I loved him and spouting shit that he would do anything for me.... he um... he convinced me to..."

"Sleep with him."

"Yeah... I didn't want to at first, but you know me... I'm pretty stupid when it comes to guys."

"Okay. What did he do?"

"He... um... he..."

By this point, her face was hidden, but I could feel her crying. She was almost sobbing. I got closer and rubbed her back, trying to help as best as I could.

"Ash, tell me. What did he do?"

"He took.... *sniff* he took pictures. Of us doing... it. Said he wanted to remember me when he was alone... I was stupid, I know... *sniff* but then... I checked his messages... and found that he was doing the same thing... with other girls..."

"So... he was cheating on you?"

"Yeah... but the worst part is... that when I went to confront him about it now... *sniff* he was showing my pictures to his friends... I was so embarrassed... he was laughing... Like I was just another conquest for him...."

By this point, she could barely talk. The knot in her throat now rested in mine. It was such a flurry of emotion. I kept rubbing her back as she shoved her face in my chest and kept crying.

"Y-you were right.... I-I should've listened to you... *sniff* I'm sorry, Adam... I'm so sorry...."

"I gotta go do something real quick, ok, dear? Here."

I handed her my notepad. And placed it on her chest.

"Read these. Made some good ones. I'm sure you'll like them. Please. I don't want you to cry anymore."