Chapter 18

Work seemed slower than usual today. Maybe it was the fact that Michelle told me that with such urgency. Or the contents of the envelope made my mind race with a thousand possibilities. Either way, I couldn't keep still. By the time seven rolled around the clock, the owner saw me and pat me on the back.

"Girl troubles?"

"You could say that."

"If there's one thing I known from my years of experience, kid, is that one, whiskey taste better with friends, two, you're only young once. Go, be with your girl."

"Are you sure? I still have an hour of my shift left."

"Don't worry about it. I was planning to close up shop early, today I watch the football game with my friends."

"Thank you, sir."

"Don't do anything you'll regret later, Adam."

"I won't, sir."

He nodded and I grabbed my jacket and ran for it. The address was surprisingly close to my house, which meant I could get there quick. Night had already embraced the city, and I felt something cold touch my face. Snow.

I ran for about ten minutes and found myself in front of an apartment complex. I climbed all the way to the fourth floor and found the door I was looking for. As I tried to catch my breath, I knocked. No response. So I knocked again.

"A-Ashley?"

Nothing. Putting my ear to the door, I could hear a slight sound, but I couldn't make out anything from it. Then I remembered the key Michelle had given me. It fit perfectly into the keyhole. So I braced myself and entered.

As I opened the door, I noticed the lights were all turned off. The room was in total darkness, save from the moonlight outside, coming in through the balcony. Right under that light, in front of a couch, Ashley was there. Sitting on the floor, hugging her knees to her chest.

"What are you doing here, Adam?"

"Michelle told me something was wrong and..."

"Michelle... That girl should really mind her own fucking business. Get out... I'm fine..."

When my eyes got used to the dark, I finally noticed. The bottles on the floor. Where would a 19 year old girl buy so much alcohol?

"Ashley, what happ--"

A bottle flew right past me and crashed against the wall behind me.

"I told you to fucking leave... Now."

Every instinct told me to leave. She was angry, she was drunk and she was willing to throw shards of glass at me. But even as my mind screamed to run, my feet came ever so closely to her.

"Not leaving till I make sure you're ok. Now tell me, what's wrong?"

"I said nothing. Now get out."

"I'm not leaving, Ashley. Now tell me. What's wrong? Who are the people in this photograph?"

I pulled the photograph Michelle had given me and showed it to her. She didn't look up much, but when she saw the picture, she swiped it from my hands and embraced it.

"Do... you really want to know?"

"Yes. Please tell me..."

"It happened around... ten years ago... Me and my family, we went for a small vacation... we were tired and the snow was piling up.... My dad... he wanted to park by a motel for the night and continue the next day..."

Wait... that explains the picture. The family. That's her family.

"But no... I was a brat... I wanted to keep driving... to see the Christmas light... mom said no but dad... he smiled, like he always did... he said okay... he always liked doing what I wanted... I loved him so much... I loved mom... and Dylan... if only I wasn't such a brat...."

At this point, her voice was cracked. Her face was full of tears. She was crying. And from the bottles and the pile of broken stuff around, I'm guessing it's not the first time...

"Ten years... today... If only I wasn't such a brat...."

"What happened ten years ago, Ashley?"

"We were looking at the Christmas lights... *sniff* dad, he was tired... Dylan was asleep... I... the truck... Dad didn't see it...he tried to avoid it... but the road... *sniff* the snow... the car went out of control... I just..."

She kept crying. She didn't need to, I understood. Her family had died on a car accident... and she blamed herself for it. When I looked at her in her sleeveless shirt, I noticed the scars on her arms and her neck. That explains why she always wears long sleeves. More than that....

"It all my goddamned fault! If only I wasn't such a fucking brat, they would still be alive!"

She was hitting her head, screaming, the tears refusing to stop. Then it hit me like a brick to the face. This happy, selfless girl, the one who smiled the brightest, the one who loved more than anyone. That smile hid a thousand tears. That selflessness was her way of making sure others weren't as unhappy as she was. That love that burned for everyone was her scream to be loved just as much. Even the happiest person was filled with hatred and sadness, especially towards themselves.

I knew that feeling all too well. I felt the exact feeling when my dad died. If Jake hadn't been there when I needed him... God knows where I'd be right now. Michelle tried to help Ashley but it didn't work.

This girl was crying in front of me... and I wanted to hold her. To tell her it was okay. But it wasn't okay. I was afraid. Afraid that in getting too close, in holding her tightly, I would break her. I would lose her. I'm her friend... just a friend and I can't get too close or.... Screw it.

I quickly ran to her and hugged her. I held her so tight that I thought I might break her. She must've been as shocked as I was.

"Ashley... it's not your fault... What happened to your family... It's not your fault. I know there wasn't much to help you find that answer, but I'm here now. Now cry. It's okay. Cry and get it out of you. That sadness, that hatred. Let me carry it for you. Because you are a kind, happy and sweet girl, and I know your family wouldn't want you to hate yourself like this. I love you. Michelle loves you. Your family loves you. So cry now, so you can smile again tomorrow."

This made the dam brake even further. She held unto me ever so tightly, buried her face into my shoulder and cried. She cried and cried.

After a long while, she wiped her face on my shoulder. She seemed like she cried all she needed to. She took the picture, kissed it, and ripped it up.

"Sorry about your jacket.... and about the bottle..."

"Hey, it's okay. I'm glad I could help."

"That you did, Adam. That you did. Want me to get you something to drink?"

"A Coke would be nice."

"Got Dr. Pepper."

"That works too."

She grabbed two cans and came back to sit down on the couch.

"Hey, I wrote you a new story. Want me to read it to you?"

She smiled and dropped down on the couch, using me as a resting pillow.

"Read away, mister writer."

I got nervous all of a sudden, and hoped she wasn't listening to my heart race. I opened the notepad and started reading. A wonderful story of magic, adventure and love. She was loving it.

By the time I started chapter 3, I noticed she fell asleep. She looked so cute, smiling in her sleep. She looked peaceful. I moved as best as I could without waking her up and went to look for a blanket for her. After making sure she was comfortable, I grabbed my jacket, cleaned up the bottles and went to leave.

I looked at her one last time and smiled.

"Good night, Ash."

"Good night, daddy."

I chuckled and closed the door behind me. Not something I would've wanted to do for my birthday, but there's no one I'd rather spend it with.