The Search Begins!

"Hey, you are looking good today!" Neel acknowledged me.

I took the compliment with a smile. We both proceeded to the café. My parents had forced me to meet him that day. My mom had insisted upon me wearing a one piece, 'Neel seems to be a modern boy who likes modern girls' she had said. But I didn't mind wearing something that he liked because that day I was going to rob something he had always dreamed of, 'his perfect, succesful and modern dream girl!"

"Let me!" He said and pulled a chair out, "Please, have a seat" he offered me.

That was very formal and so unlike him. We had been on numerous dates but that was the first time he had ever pulled a chair for me. I recalled our walks in parks, where I had to jog to keep up to his speed and he always had earphones plugged into his ears, which was very annoying and if I ever brought that up I was always silenced by his sweet words which said, "relationships doesn't mean end of privacy Mira."

"What will you have!?" He asked me, I overcame the bitter memories and said "coffee please!"

"Neel, I have something to tell you!" I started.

"Sure" he said and looked up from his mobile.

Before coming for that date with Neel, I had rehearsed the whole 'breaking his heart episode' in front of Veer. So I started just the way I had rehearsed.

"I am writing another book!"

"Wow, but how will you manage all that in between our marriage?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Or wait, should we postpone our marriage? That shouldn't be an issue because our careers are more important afterall aren't they?" He said. I could clearly see his selfish eyes staring at me for a reply.

That was exactly what I had expected of him and so I fired my frustration on him.

"About that! We never spoke about your career did we?" I said as I felt the heat of temper rising in me. "What exactly do you do? The last time we broke up, you were still finding yourself a job and you didn't mention anything about your career in our conversations. So what exactly do you do?" I could see him getting uncomfortable by my words.

"I am about to... Um.. About to.." he stammered. "About to what?" I asked firmly. "About to get a job!" He somehow finished his sentence.

"I'll tell you what you are about to do. You are about to marry a successful woman, who, you think, will feed your family alongwith you. That's what you always wanted right?" I said and rose from my chair.

"You are getting it all wrong." Was all that he could manage to say. "Oh come on, let's face it Neel, you always wanted a successful and qualified girl because you knew you could never achieve even one of them yourself. That's why you left me, because I had not taken the job which was paying me a huge sallary. You didn't trust me and now you say you love me? Oh my brother is so correct! You are selfish, you don't want to marry me, you want to marry my success!" I finished. I paid for my coffee which was yet to arrive and I left, leaving the biggest loser staring at my back with no words in his own defense.

My fury calmed down, and as I walked away, a smile of 'self independance' spread over my face.
~^~

'Raj Vardhan'

Veer typed! There were many results.

I finally had someone who was helping me to find more about the mysterious girl. And besides, my brother was very proud of me for finally making my own decision of breaking up with Neel. That news was hidden from my parents then, but the following day was going to be the hardest one for me, because I would have had to face my parents then. Thus! We had only one peaceful night left to start searching for the mysterious girl!