The Forbidden Past!

"I always knew that I had a sister, a cute little doll she was! Though my parents always acted as if they had only a single child, me, but I never forgot her!" Rohit said.

"They didn't tell me why they didn't bring Megha back from the hospital, 'she's dead' they said! But she wasn't I knew. Since Megha was born I had always noted that it was me who used to get the best treatment from my parents. My favorite food used to be decorated around the table, no matter how much Megha hated what I liked, she used to sleep hungry, and still they never used to bother!" Rohit continued.

My hand was still between his palms, but I didn't bother to take it back, I was afraid that I would have had broken the link of what he was telling me. So I rested my free hand's knuckles under my chin and surrendered my ears to what he had to tell me.

"I remember that day, it was Megha's fourth birthday. I had prepared a card for her as I had hoped that maasi would bring her to our house that day. It was her first birthday without us. Maasi did bring her home that day, only the doors of our house never opened for their welcome. My parents didn't allow them inside. I tried my best to shout and grab Megha's attention from my bedroom's window. I noticed that her height was increased a little but I couldn't spot that joyful smile on her face. Just before my voice reached her, maasi started walking away, dragging Megha along. How hurt she must have felt.

That day my mother had slapped me and warned me to never talk about Megha again, she asked me to forget that I ever had a sister!" He paused. Maybe he was gulping in the bitter memory.

"After that day, Megha was never mentioned in my father's house, but she was always loved and cared secretly in my heart. My parents believed that I had forgotten her but I hadn't. As soon as I graduated and started my own business I started searching for my sister, but I couldn't trace her, ever!" Then he looked at the diary and said "But now I know, I want to meet her! Her bad days are over. She has to know that I've returned, returned for her!" He said and hugged the diary.

He released my hand. "I am sorry, I didn't realise..." He said, awkwardly.
"It's okay!" I said.

"Well, is this Amika the same girl who had hurt my sister!?" He asked firmly and turned slightly red.

"Oh! No no... Megha had it all wrong. Raj and Amika both are innocent. Actually what happened that day was something like this......" I told him everything and just like me he was surprised and shocked.

"She has to know this...!" He said.

"I know.." I said. Oh God! How badly I hoped that Megha was alive.

"I have to talk to Amika!" he said softly and his expectant eyes rose towards me.

"Okay I'll call her.!" I said and called Amika. She agreed to come.

"She's on her way!" I said politely.

He nodded.

After a few minutes of deafening silence, Rohit asked softly - "Does it hurt!?"

I suddenly became aware that I was unknowingly massaging my sore arm.
"Kinda!" I said.

He rose from his seat and scratched his forehead. I paid him one glance and looked away immediately. Although he had a sweet and caring heart he was genuinely a rude man, I concluded!

"Ow!" I was startled by his touch. "Don't flinch, Lemme look!" He said and softly wrapped his fingers around my arm. "It's reddish! I must say you have a really sensitive skin miss!" He commented. I was confused, I couldn't figure out whether it was to flatter me or to annoy me.

I yanked my arm away from his grip. He didn't touch me after that and went back to his chair. My ears were longing for his 'sorry' but he didn't fulfill their wish.