Chapter 7: Date night (E)

Chapter 7

I blinked awake, staring at the ceiling. I was curled up with the blanket, a rare occurrence- seeing as it was just the ending of summer and I keep my windows closed or cracked, at least. I was surprised I could actually see the ceiling. Usually, I’d wake up when it was still dark and my light would barely illuminate my room enough for me to see.

I blinked again, quickly sitting up in my bed, looking towards my clock. It blinked 11:53PM. What? I stared at it for a good 2 minutes but the time didn’t change. Did someone reset my alarm? I quickly pressed a button on my phone. I had 15 minutes to get ready and get to school! I quickly got up, rushing towards the bathroom.

I regret going to the library so early and staying until closing time. I was so glad that I got back at Adrian that I set my alarm ahead of time so I could just come home, get ready, and go to sleep. I think I accidentally set it for an hour later than usual! But why was it stopped at 11:53P.M? You were asleep by then.

As I yanked on any clean pair of jeans that was in my drawer, I turned on the water and washed my face, wetting my tooth brush. I quickly scrubbed my teeth and pulled on any random shirt. After running a brush through my hair, I pulled it into a pretty neat pony tail, if I do say so myself. I slipped into my socks and shoes, putting them on the wrong feet at first. I fixed them and grabbed my school bag.

I glanced at my window with an angry look and I saw Adrian grinning at me. He waved his fingers as he closed his curtains. I began running downstairs with 8 minutes left.

“What happened? Why aren’t you at school?” My Aunt asked. She looked as if she just woke up. Her hair was wild and her eyes were lidded.

“I overslept.” I muttered, rushing past her towards the cabinet. I grabbed a granola bar and ripped open the wrapper, devouring it in 3 bites before I rushed towards the door.

“Love you!” My Aunt called, looking worried. I know she’d let me stay home if my parents wouldn’t have a fit. But I didn’t want to stay. For whatever reason, my mind and conscious was demanding me to go to school. I’d rather just go and be exhausted than stay home and feel guilty. Besides, I wouldn’t want to ruin my somewhat perfect attendance.

I got into my car and started it, pulling out of the parking lot to get to my destination. I got there 4 minutes late and I still could make it to the late bell if I skipped going to my locker. I ran inside, opening a side door so I could enter the the part of the school that is closer to my class.

Slinging my bag over my shoulder and holding the straps tighter, I ran up the stairs two at a time. I almost fell at one point but as I grabbed the handle to the classroom, I braced myself for he disappointed lecture I’d get.

“Ms. Harper? You’re late.” Mr. Parks reprimanded as he held his pointer impatiently at the board. I bit my lip out of nervousness. I’ve never been yelled at by my teachers before, sure my parents have given me a lecture or two about my study habits but nothing like this.

“I, uhm… I overslept.” I explained, nibbling on my lip. His emotion didn’t change. I heard my best friend pipe in and save me.

“Technically, she’s not late because the late bell didn’t ring yet. And according to school policies, it’s your option to start teaching or not. And if you find it fun to embarrass her in front of the whole entire class just because she was 5 minutes late, then I’ll find it fun to tell Mrs. Perkins about how stimulating your classroom is.” Jessie spoke, surprising myself and my classmates. The latter sentence was dripping sarcasm. I felt the corners of my mouth perk up as I quickly rushed to my usual seat.

I heard a familiar shuffling and a note slammed on my desk, startling me.

“Detention, Ms. Harper. And for you, McDaniel’s, say ‘Hello’ to detention for a week.” Mr. Parks demanded. What was I going to do? My parents would hear about this for sure and I’d get grounded and I’d never be able to see Jessie again! I felt my stomach drop to my ankles. I continued listening to the lecture, but I wasn’t fully there.