Chapter 21: 7/26 and Breaking It Down

Chapter 21

“Your dress looks amazing.” Jessie admitted to me after I put it on. I smiled at her, responding with a compliment just as kind. She thanked me and started straightening her hair. I decided to curl mine.

“You’re ready?” I asked, applying my last coat of lip balm. My mascara was thick and in my opinion, it looked nice. I walked over to the dresser to see her fangs sitting there.

“What about your fangs?” I asked and she smirked.

“I can’t kiss well with those.” She excused and I rolled my eyes. That was such a Jessie thing to say.

“Let’s go.” She rushed me and I sighed, allowing her to drag me out of my room. My mother stopped me.

“Where are you going?” She asked, taking in my attire. I held up the little slip for a Halloween dance.

“Halloween dance.” I replied, smiling.

“I don’t remember you asking my permission.” She said, raising an eyebrow. I furrowed my eyebrows, pulling the innocent look.

“I asked Dad.” I spoke, my voice low. She just waved her hand.

“That guy’s head is like a tube, what goes in one ear comes out of the other. Go, have fun. Don’t stay out late.” My mother warned me, giving me a motherly look. I nodded and continued walking.

“Well that was nice of her.” Jessie muttered under her breath and I nodded my head. Something’s up.

__

“Are you going in the Haunted House?” I asked her, smirking slightly and she shook her head. I raised an eyebrow.

“Why not?” I questioned, sitting up in my seat.

“Well, because I don’t want to.” She excused terribly. I rolled my eyes, knowing exactly what to say to get her to go.

“Trent’s going to be at the end of it. Football players had to help, seeing as they can take a punch from a girl if she gets scared.” I stated casually and her eyes lit up.

“Are you serious?” She asked me and I nodded my head, pretending it was no big deal. Well, it wasn’t.

“When do you want to go?” She asked, her whole entire attitude changing.

“I never said I was going to go.” I replied and she frowned, pouting slightly.

“But, you brought up the idea.” She whined and I shrugged.

“Yeah, so?” I shrugged and she gave me an annoyed look.

“Wait, if Trent will be there- doesn’t that mean that Adrian will be there?” She asked, raising a teasing brow. I gave her an annoyed look. I shrugged.

“I don’t know; I’m not his stalker,” I replied and she smirked. “Besides, he’s probably going to be flirting with any girl who steps foot into the small chamber.”

__

I entered the dance area and saw all of the girls that hang out with Brielle dressed in the shortest, thinnest dresses that I’ve ever seen. Jessie and I looked at each other and let out a bark of laughter.

Some other girls wore cleaner costumes. I was surprised to see that I wasn’t the only one who didn’t wear a costume, though. Most of the guys didn’t wear costumes, or just wore a cowboy hat, jeans and a checkered shirt.

Jessie and I immediately recognized the Private School boys because they were either talking to only each other or getting drinks. They looked foreign compared to the people that we have to see every day.