Chapter 8: It's official, he cares. (E)

Chapter 8

Since my syrup trick with Easton backfired, I need to think of a new trick and quick. I walked around my room, my cell phone on speaker as Jessie gave me ideas. Easton was out, although it was 10:30 PM, not that it was late for the bad boy. We do have school tomorrow, though.

“You could always go into his room at night and put his hand in warm water.” I contemplated that idea for a moment. I immediately discarded it along with several others because of the main flaw- that meant I had to enter his room. Not only was I deathly afraid of heights, I was also not too fond of the idea of entering his room when he was in there- not that I’d enter when he wasn’t in there.

“No, that requires me entering his room when he was alseep.” I excused. Jessie knew about my fear of heights.

“Well, you can always-.” She started but was cut off by my ‘shushing.’ As I was standing right in front of the window, Adrian entered, removing a ski mask and gloves, and then tossing a backpack onto the floor as he kicked it under his bed. His ruffled brown hair was pushed back as he quickly shed his black long sleeved shirt, revealing a white t-shirt. He tossed the black shirt into a garbage bag. I heard him mutter something about ‘hating yellow and stripes, yuck’ as he tossed a yellow striped shirt on the ground and he kicked it carelessly. I couldn’t help but smirk. He quickly placed on a colored shirt and just as he was about to change his dark pants, I coughed over dramatically. He turned and stared at me for a second before a slow smirk spread across his face.

“You’re a peeping Tom.” He began approaching the window. Just as I was about to ask him why in the world was he was coming home so late and changing so quickly, a loud car beeping caused me and him to jump. He waved his hand as if saying ‘bye,’ and he looked as if  he was about to say something stupid before he changed his mind and closed the curtains, but not the window fully.    

“What was that?” Jessie asked, curiousity laced in her voice. I shrugged.

“I’m not sure. But I think I have an idea.” I replied and I waited until I heard his bedroom door close. I watched him from the small gap between our houses as he got into his friend’s car that was impatiently running. I started to elaborate on my plan to Jessie.

---

I leaned out of my window, prying his window open even more to make sure that I had enough room. I looked down and gulped. How did he do this before? I grabbed onto the ledge before gripping it tightly and pulling myself across. The room wasn’t as dark as I thought it was going to be because he left a side lamp on.

I looked around, taking in the sight. I'd never been in a guy's room before. I walked over to his bed, looking at the duller red color of his walls and the black and gray color of his sheets and blankets. He had a king sized bed and I was tempted to sit down on it but I didn’t have enough time and that would’ve been weird (plus, who knows what lurks on them?).

Instead, I ducked my hand under his bed, coming in contact with the book bag he’d shoved under there. I felt my breath catch in my throat as I felt footsteps approaching the room and I dived under his bed, pulling the gray bed ruffle down to hide me. I heard the doorknob turn and the door opened, letting in a gust of cool air. I bit my lip and tried to cover my mouth.

I remembered what he said, or didn’t say, about living with his mother. Or I’d just assumed. Did he have any siblings? I’d have to ask to know for sure. I heard her riffling around in what sounded like a plastic basket. She muttered something about laundry and I’m guessing that’s what it was. I heard her steps nearing the bed and my instincts told me to shuffle backwards but she might leave and come back with a broom and start hitting me with it. Instead of approaching the bed, she was approaching the window.