Chapter 42: It All Falls into Place

Chapter 42

I stood there along with 49 other students, waiting for the winners to be revealed. I wasn’t expecting to win, I knew that there were people here who’ve won championships all around; I was no competition to them but I was okay with it. “Third place is Penelope Austin!”

The harpist walked over to stand beside the announcer as she had a smug look on her face. I raised an eyebrow at her. She just turned up her nose while I rolled my eyes, a small smile tugging at the corner of my lips. “Second place is Tyrone Santos!”

I turned and watched the crowd. My eyes found my friends; surprisingly Chase was there with a smile on his face. Adrian was grinning widely at me while my other friends were smiling just as largely. “First place goes to Fiona Harper!” My eyes were locked with Adrian’s when the words were spoken.

My head whipped around to face the announcer and he waved me over to the group of winners. I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out of the crowd and say; ‘I’m Ashton Kutcher and you’ve just been pranked!’ But instead, the announcer smiled as the cameras took pictures of us. I couldn’t help but let a goofy grin slip onto my face.

Adrian and I had almost kissed.

When they finally let me leave with my large trophy, my belongings and my stupid grin, I walked over to my friends who wrapped me in a hug. I immediately felt the need to apologize. “I’m sorry for avoiding you. I just-”

“Shut up, winner.” Logan smiled and I felt the goofy grin make its way onto my face. Adrian offered to carry the trophy and I nodded, handing it over to him.

Despite the fact that I came here in my aunt’s car, I left in Adrian’s even though we were going to the same place. Mattie was in the backseat, congratulating me repeatedly.

I left my purse in the car when I told Adrian that I was going to go change. “Don’t, you look beautiful.” He smiled.

I bit my lip. “I’m freezing.” I admitted and he sighed.

“I guess I have to change then, too.” He smiled and I nodded. Mattie just held my hand until he had to go with Adrian into their house.

__

About twenty minutes later, I exited my house at the same time Adrian had and he opened the passenger side door for me. I smiled at him as I entered the car. He grinned as he walked in front of the car. I leaned over and honked the horn, causing him to jump. But instead of being angry, he just smiled at me.

“Okay, I know you may not answer me on this one… but I need to ask it; can I see your For Now Bucket List? It regards to the date.” Adrian asked, covering his face with his hands as a defense mechanism while I picked up my purse. I dug around for a moment before taking out the piece of paper.

“Don’t laugh.” I warned and he nodded, a small smile embracing his face. I gave him another warning look. He took the list in his hands, pure happiness glowing in his eyes. He reminded me of a little boy on Christmas Eve when his parents let him open a present early.

As his eyes scanned the list, his small smile grew wider and he blinked every so often. Just by watching him, the butterflies in my stomach turned into pterodactyls swooping down. “I actually completed number one but I didn’t think you considered those dates.” I stuttered awkwardly.

“I don’t think you understand how happy this makes me.” I just nodded in response. His eyes were greener and they looked happier. “Why don’t we start working on finishing everything on this list?”

Everything?” Even the last one, about getting a boyfriend?

“What? You don’t want to pull a Velma?” He smirked and I punched his shoulder. “Let’s go to the store.” He started the car and we were off.