Chapter 36: False Hope

Chapter 36

I quickly got the address from Adrian and wrote it down, stuffing it into my jean pockets along with my keys. I’d changed clothes. What? I’m not going to a teenager’s party with just my pajamas on. I put my phone in my pocket and looked at the address. It was a few blocks away, I can walk. It’s better than waking Aunt Cherry up with my loud car.

I stealthily snuck downstairs, making sure all perimeters were clear. What that means is that I fell down the stairs quietly. I got up and rubbed my back before grumbling and leaving the house.  

I raced off of my lawn, in hopes of not setting off the yard lights. I made it and began walking in the direction of the house. I snuggled into my jacket; the air was nipping at my face. It was already mid-November, Thanksgiving was only a few days away.

I heard the music from a block away and I’m surprised the police didn’t arrive before I had. I crossed the street, my feet dragging. I looked around and saw Adrian’s Camaro, the red of the car sticking out among the dull silvers and blacks.

I took the phone out of my pocket and dialed his number, pressing the phone to my ear. “Hello? Fio?”

Adrian’s drunken voice entered the line and I sighed with relief. Good thing he hadn’t passed out in the fifteen minutes it’d taken me to walk here. “Where are you?”

“I’m, uh, near a really, really big fountain.” I sighed and pressed my hand to my head.

“Where is that?” I asked and he laughed loudly.

“Some guy’s peeing in it, walking away from the fountain.” I heard shuffling from the other end of the line. “What was your question?”

“Where are you now?” I asked.

“WHO ARE YOU NOW?” He started singing Sleeping with Sirens and I wanted to smash my head against his Camaro’s window. He’s an idiot.

His slurring wasn’t as bad as it was fifteen minutes ago and I’m guessing he vomited a few times.

“No, no, Adrian, where are you?” I slowly spoke.

“I’m avoiding someone.”

“Who are you avoiding?” I asked, making my way towards the large house. It looked exactly like the houses did in the movies, except this party looked wilder.

“Brielle, she tried jumping on me earlier today but I moved and she fell. She’s really annoying.” He groaned and I rolled my eyes but couldn’t help but feel relief. Maybe he didn’t like her.

“Adrian, where are you?” I asked again.

“I’m near the backyard. My feet are in the pool.” He replied, his teeth chattering. “Splishy, splash! Splishy, splash! I’m a fishy! Want to see my a-?”

“Get out of the pool, you’re going to freeze!” I snapped, cutting off his pervert song and he giggled. How manly was that?

“Okay, I’m out, Mom.” He retorted.

“Stay where you are, I’m going there.” I replied and he made a sound of confirmation before I hung up. I quickly walked towards the party, avoiding the front entrance and I went around the side.

“What are you doing?” A guy asked. I turned around to see him standing there with a beer in his hand. I started backing up. “Calm down, I’m not going to hurt you; I just watched you come into the party, well not into the party, but around the party.”

“I’m just here to pick up a friend.” I replied and he nodded, turning to walk away as I slowly walked towards the pool. I saw Adrian lying there.