Chapter 30: I love you, Blake

Chapter 30

I stared into the darkness of the room, Adrian’s footsteps going further and further away from me. I heard other footsteps making their way into the room and I heard a ‘pew, pew, pew’ sound. I let out a bark of laughter. Did it just say ‘pew, pew, pew?’ I wasn’t the only one who found this funny.

“Did the gun just say ‘pew, pew, pew?’” Adrian asked for confirmation. I’m pretty sure he was the one that got shot.

“Yeah.” I replied, starting to walk. I felt something move beside me so I squealed and held the trigger of the fake gun, shooting it like a machine gun. ‘Pews’ sounded throughout the room. I hit my target because a sound of confirmation came from my vest.

“Come on.” Adrian herded me away from that room. We had to leave before their gun’s ‘reloaded’ which is actually the time when they can shoot us back.

When we entered the next room, I heard heavy footsteps. “King Kong is in the building.” I whispered to Adrian, who snorted and placed a hand over his mouth to stop from laughing.

I started shooting anywhere with the laser gun. A confirmation sound came from my vest again and I smirked triumphantly. I seemed to be doing all the work for the team. “Give me a chance to do something.” Adrian huffed.

“Don’t bother trying; you’ll just break a nail.” I whispered, moving around the room. We exited through a small door. The heavy footsteps starting coming closer, moving faster towards us. I’m guessing his gun reloaded.

“Run!” Adrian hissed, pushing me by the small of my back. I’m lucky that it’s dark; my face is the color of a tomato. I started speeding up and suddenly, we came across a room that was like a bouncy house. As soon as I stepped into it, I fell. I managed to roll away so when Adrian walks in, he wouldn’t fall on top of me. That would be awkward.

“Where’d you g-.” He started to say but was cut off by the bouncy material hitting his face from his fall. The big guy’s breath could be heard from a mile away and Adrian obviously wasn’t moving.

“The guy is coming Adrian, he’s going to fall on top of you!” I hissed to him as I slowly attempted to get up. Adrian managed to stand up and walk over to where I was. We watched as a large figure made his way through the door. I jumped in front of Adrian and started shooting in his direction, managing to hit him.

The guy cursed while Adrian muttered about how I was a ‘shot hog.’ I just dragged him along beside me. I heard Trent’s voice so I pushed Adrian against a wall. I stood beside him with a finger over my lips. “Shut up.”

“If she likes him, why doesn’t she say anything?” I heard Trent hiss.

“She doesn’t want to be rejected, I’m guessing. At least, that’s how I’d feel.” Jessie’s voice whispered back.

“Why would he reject her? She could-.” I cut him off by crying out a warrior cry and shooting crazily in their direction.

I heard Trent curse, something I had never thought I would hear him say, and Jessie let out a girlish scream. Adrian on the other hand, was laughing louder than I’d ever heard him laugh. I hope he can’t put two and two together and figure out that they were talking about me liking him.

I grabbed Adrian’s arm and dragged him away from Trent and Jessie. His laughing died down and I ducked behind a makeshift shield. It’s like the forts you make after a snowstorm hits and you’re having a snowball fight with your friends. I yanked Adrian down beside me.

“I wonder who they were talk-.” I cut Adrian off skillfully.

“How’s Emilia?” I questioned. He shrugged.