Chapter 24

Zayn's POV

The day after Niall left was just as hard as the day he actually walked out of my life. I'm not someone that cries allot, but I won't deny the fact I locked myself in my bathroom and cried for two hours, then went to bed and cried for who knows how long until I fell asleep. I even had to call in for work yesterday because I couldn't pull myself together. This morning I was doing better even though it was hard. I was able to shower and not just stand there crying. I went to both my classes, then to the radio station for work.

"Malik, I need you to pick the set list while I do a short celebrity news catch up." Grimmy told me right when I walked in. I set down all my stuff and followed him into his booth and sat in front of one of the computers to get a list ready. Both of us put of head sets on and Nick went on air with his co-host. I could hear them taking while I pulled songs from the list of new material we had. Of course, I threw in more One Direction songs than was necessary, but it was a way for me to feel like I was getting over this. I mean, I have to go to my parents house tonight for dinner and hear my sisters talk about the band. I can't just rip down all Safaa's posters and tell her not to talk about them just because of what happened. Life goes on and I need to remember it was going to be alright if I just slowly move on. Not forget about it, just move on with the memories close to my heart.

"Last night in LA, One Direction was recording a gig for a late night show and apparently Niall Horan had a complete emotional break down that ended the live performance. I just want to know what happened to the poor little penguin lad." I heard Nick say. I stopped what I was doing and just stared straight a the computer screen so I could hear everything.

"I heard that him and Selena Gomez had a situation going on, so maybe something is happening there." The co-host told Nick. I shook my head and looked down at my hands to see they were clenched into fists. I wasn't mad about what they were assuming, I was mad that I wasn't there to hold him when he needed me. I was also mad that I did that to him.

"I bet Harry Styles did something to him. He's a mean one. I'll give him a call and tell him to be nicer to his friends. Next up, we have an hour long mix of songs set up by my very sexy intern and new celebrity gossip man, Zayn Malik. This is all coming up after this commercial break." Nick said with a happy chuckle then went off air. I finished the list of songs and took off my headset. Nick pulled my rolling chair over so I was sitting right in front of him. His co-host left the booth and shut the door.

"What happened between you and Niall?" Nick asked me quietly and genuinely caring. I looked down and shook my head as an answer. Nick started to ask me more things about Niall until I cracked and told him nearly everything. I don't have any friends to talk to and this was something that I really needed to get off my chest to someone. Nick had been in my life since I was an eighteen year old kid looking for a way into the music industry, money and some hours for uni. He was the closest thing to a friend as I had gotten to. He nodded and gave me reassuring pats on the leg to continue talking. Towards the end, I was getting too chocked up to continue to tell him about turning down Niall's offer to leave with him. So I stopped and looked over to see there was only a few seconds before I needed to put on the set list to play. Nick reached over and did it for me, then sat back down to look me in the eyes. I mumbled that I turned down Niall's offer and I had made him cry. That caused Nick to give me a sad smile that also seemed like he really wanted to help me feel better.

"You do realize that your future is set up for you so well that you don't need to follow him to get to the places you'll get to. You're talented, and have smart business sense as well. When we went to the party a few weeks ago at the club, producers were calling me even up to yesterday asking if you had started working with anyone to produce. I see you in recording studios with the biggest artist helping them put their albums together. I don't see you depending on someone else to get you through your life. Even though you're hurting now and so is Niall, in the end you made the best choice for the both of you. After work, we're going to put together a lovely portfolio of all the mixes you've made in the past years and get you ready for the job field. You'll be graduating soon and have a good enough degree to get you any job you want. I'll help you look forward to the future. The best way to get over heart break is to look forward for what's to come." Nick said. I nodded and wiped away the stupid tears that were wanting to fall. He pat my leg then got to work on getting his next hour of his show ready. I went out to my little desk and started doing some homework stuff done for my classes.